Alleged ‘Hell Fire Club’ knife attacker charged with attempted murder
THE DIRECTOR of public prosecutions (DPP) has completed the book of evidence for the trial of a Dublin man accused of attempted murder of a young camper at Dublin's Hell Fire Club.
Michael Corbett was charged last year with assault causing harm to three teenagers, two males and a young woman, during an alleged stabbing on the afternoon of June 27, 2016.
The incident allegedly took place at the Hell Fire Club, otherwise known as Montpelier Hill, a popular south Co. Dublin site for hikers surrounded by lands owned by the State forestry company Coillte.
In January, a further charge for attempted murder of one of the youths, a boy aged 17, was brought against Mr Corbett in connection with the incident. His case was listed again at Cloverhill District Court on Tuesday.
Judge Victor Blake noted from a solicitor for the DPP that the book of evidence was in court and ready to be served on the accused. However, Mr Corbett who has an address at Woodbine Close in Raheny in north Dublin, was unable to appear at his hearing.
Defence solicitor Carina Davidson said, “I do not believe he is fit to attend court” and she asked for an adjournment to see if there will be an improvement in the situation.
Judge Blake further remanded him in custody in his absence to appear again on April 25. He ordered that an updated letter would have to be sent to court if the defendant is getting treatment.
He had been initially refused bail by Dublin District Court on June 29 and was held in custody. During a bail hearing last year, Garda Pauline Glennon had said three campers, an 18-year-old woman, a male aged 18 and a 17-year-old boy, were at the Hell Fire Club, at Killakee Road. The defendant, who was not known to them beforehand, allegedly travelled there and remained with them for a couple of hours. They also went picking logs.
Gda Glennon had said it was alleged the 17-year-old youth was “stabbed across his throat, in to his chest and was assaulted with a log of wood”. She had added that the young woman and the second youth were also struck with the log.
Earlier the defence had said the accused had serious underlying psychiatric problems. He has not yet entered a plea to the charges and needs to be served with the book of evidence before he can be returned for trial.