NewsCrime World

Youth faces prison for knifing boy at 16th birthday party

Che Labastide-Wellington
Che Labastide-Wellington

A teenager is facing years behind bars for stabbing a 17-year-old to death at a 16th birthday party advertised on Instagram.

Che Labastide-Wellington, a college student from Kensal Green, was knifed in the heart at the celebration in Kenton, north London.

One of his 16-year-old friends, who cannot be named because of his age, was also stabbed multiple times.

The pair were said to have been attacked by a group of 17, several armed with knives, in a feud between neighbouring estates in north-west London, a court heard.

A number of young defendants were accused of being part of the group and went on trial for murder and wounding at the Old Bailey.

A jury deliberated for more than 42 hours to find 19-year-old Walker Sesay, of Wembley, not guilty of murder but guilty of manslaughter.

Rimmel Williams, 18 and Calvin Tudor, 22, both of Willesden, were convicted of wounding with intent alongside Marlon Tudor, 23, of Neasden.

Omar Afrah, 22, of Wembley, and Olamilekan Onafowokan, 23, of Wembley, were found guilty of conspiracy to commit violent disorder.

Two more defendants were cleared of all the charges against them.

Judge Stephen Kramer QC adjourned sentencing until December 6 so that reports can be prepared on some of the defendants.

He warned them: "Be under no illusion, in each of your cases there is a 99.9% certainty there will be a custodial sentence."

Prosecutor Crispin Aylett QC had told jurors that a flyer for the event was posted on Instagram, which meant that "inevitably a number of people who had not been invited got to hear about it".

He told the jury that a "small army" of youths descended on the gathering to "sort out" the victim, who was outside in the street.

Che, who was apparently carrying a blade himself, was knifed once in the chest and collapsed in a nearby alleyway on November 7 2015.

He was pronounced dead at the scene by 1.30am.

The second victim was chased down and stabbed six times in the back, side, arm and leg. He was taken to hospital and given six units of blood, which saved his life.

In a cruel twist of fate, Che's mother Carlene Wellington gave birth to another son less than 24 hours before he was killed.

"She sent Che a photograph of his new brother on Saturday. It was arranged that Che would visit his mother and the baby the following day, Sunday," Mr Aylett said.

"Instead, in the early hours of Sunday, Carlene found out that her son Che had been killed."