NewsCrime World

Teen killer knifed victim over 100 times in 'two to three minutes'


A teenage double killer told police that it took "about two to three minutes" to stab one of his victims 102 times.

The youngster, who was 15, thought "it was a good thing" and the "right thing to do" because voices in his head were telling him to "sacrifice" James Attfield as "a sinner".

A jury at Guildford Crown Court, Surrey, heard clips of police interviews where the teenager went into graphic detail about how he killed Mr Attfield, 33, and Saudi student Nahid Almanea, 31, in Colchester, Essex, in 2014.

The teenager, now aged 17 who cannot be named for legal reasons, recalled that Mr Attfield let out a "loud" scream "that goes right through you" and pleaded "stop, stop" as he firstly launched blows on his victim's stomach and head.

He told detectives in the May 2015 interview: "I was using lots of force. I went in the first ones and I went into a rage."

Asked by the detective how he felt after killing Mr Attfield, the youth said "a bit sad" but the voices had controlled him physically and told him to do it.

He said he was "shocked" when he heard later on the news that he had stabbed Mr Attfield 102 times and that he "could not remember anything after a few minutes and going in to a rage".

He also told detectives that he attacked Ms Almanea with a bayonet that had a blade of roughly 10 inches.

He said he came from behind her, hit her in both eyes and knew she was dead by the second blow.

Of the first strike, he told the detectives: "She was walking away from me. She did not notice me. I pulled it (the bayonet) out. It went in to her kidneys, I reckon."

After the killing the teenager bagged up his bloody clothes, hid them at home before putting them out for the bin men to take away.

He admits two counts of manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility. He denies murder.

The teenager, of Colchester, was wearing gloves when he was arrested after being found with a lock knife on May 26 last year.

The youth, who is in a hospital, has since pleaded guilty to having that weapon.

He told police it was good that he was in custody because he might kill again, adding: "I do not want anyone to lose their lives anymore".

He suggested that if the voices could be sorted out, he might be "fit to go back into society again".

Asked why he wore latex gloves, the teenager said: "My fingerprints were on the system already and they (the voices) wanted me to do more and more sacrifices."

He said he had sneaked out of his parents' home at about "12ish" (midnight) in the darkness and attacked Mr Attfield while he was "fast asleep" and lying down drunk on the ground.

Of the attack on Mr Attfield in Castle Park on March 29 2014, he said: "It was about two or three minutes. When you are in a rage and you hear voices laughing at you, you get really good strength."

Ms Almanea, a Muslim, was wearing a traditional veil and full-length garment when she was killed on the Salary Brook Trail on June 17 2014.

The teenager said he knocked her glasses off and "stabbed her in the eyes so that you cannot see evil".

He also told the officers he had been collecting blades for around a year and had about three of them.