Teen admits assault but denies robbery in viral bullying video trial
A teenage girl has admitted taking part in a humiliating bullying attack which later went viral after being filmed on a phone - but denies robbery.
The 16-year-old was said to have had a "secondary role" in an incident in which two younger girls were forced to beg on their knees, according to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS).
Mobile phone footage of the incident filmed by others has since been viewed more than 11 million times on social media sites including Facebook.
Appearing with her mother today at Birmingham Youth Court, the teenager admitted kicking one of the girls while was on the floor.
However, she denied an allegation of taking a £400 iPhone during the attack in the Northfield area of Birmingham, on July 11.
District Judge Jan Jellema set the matter down for a day-long trial to be heard at the court on November 20, after which she will be sentenced.
Simon Cleary, prosecuting, said it had evidence including the viral camera phone footage showing the girl, who cannot be named for legal reasons, at the scene being passed the stolen mobile.
He said: "The mobile phone is passed, we say to her, and she takes possession."
Mr Cleary earlier told the judge the girl played a secondary role to that of another teenage attacker involved, describing the assault as "humiliating" for the victims.
He added: "It's all caught on camera.
"She is there and at the point the other girl is holding down her victim, she goes over and kicks her while she is on the floor."
Charmaine Robinson, representing the teenager in court, said her client was of previous good character with no convictions or cautions to her name.
Judge Jellema told the girl, who appeared composed before the court wearing a black skirt, dark coat and white blouse, that she would be bailed until trial.
"I take the decision this is a matter that can be dealt with in this court," he said.
He also told the teenager she would be sentenced for the assault following the trial's outcome.
Another girl, aged 16, and referred to by the prosecutor as "the prime mover" has already been dealt with over the attack.
She was handed a 10-month referral order after admitting robbery and assault earlier this year.