NewsCrime World

Police family liason officer jailed for raping two women

Jeffrey Davies
Jeffrey Davies

A police family liaison officer who raped two women has been jailed for 18 years.

Cardiff Crown Court heard Jeffrey Howard Davies, 45, thought he was "untouchable" when he carried out the sex attacks - with his victims too scared to speak out for more than a decade amid fears no-one would believe them.

However, the depraved past of the married father of two caught up with him when they finally broke their silence after learning of Davies' conviction for attacking other women.

During his trial, jurors were told Davies conned a vulnerable woman into thinking she was going to a police station, but instead drove her to a darkened mountain top before raping her on the bonnet of his car.

The second victim, who also cannot be named, was violently attacked in her own home by a drunk Davies.

Judge Jonathan Furness QC described Davies as an arrogant sexual predator who thought he was above the law.

"You believed you were untouchable," said the judge in his sentencing remarks.

"Both women have spoken of the adverse effects that this has had on their lives.

"You have not shown a shred of remorse or concern for your victims."

Davies was sacked from South Wales Police three years ago after being jailed for sexually assaulting two women in 2010.

Following the publicity from that case, two other victims came forward about their ordeal.

The first woman told a jury how Davies turned up at her home and asked her to attend Tonypandy police station in 2002.

However, he took her to the nearby Bwlch Mountain instead and put his hand up her skirt before raping her on the bonnet of his car.

A court heard the woman was very vulnerable at the time and was already suffering from depression.

In a victim impact statement, read aloud in court by prosecuting counsel Susan Ferrier, the woman said Davies knew she "did not have any support" in her personal life and described giving evidence in court as incredibly difficult.

"I felt that I had to convince the jury that I was telling the truth and not him," she added.

"I felt like I was on trial and not him."

The second woman, who was violently attacked in her own home, said in her statement: "I did not report it for all those years because I did not think anyone would believe me."

She said since the attack she had suffered with severe anxiety and had lost two stone in weight as a result of the stress.

Davies was handed a prison sentence of 10 years and six months for the attack on the first woman and a consecutive term of seven years and six months for the rape of the second woman.

He will also be on the sex offenders' register for the rest of his life and banned from ever working with children.

South Wales Police welcomed the court's sentencing, saying Davies had abused his position of "great trust".

Chief Superintendent Dorian Lloyd, head of South Wales Police's Professional Standards Department, said: "His actions were a gross abuse of position and power which will not be tolerated within policing.

"The thorough and determined investigation carried out by South Wales Police demonstrates our determination to tackle behaviour of this kind."