NewsCrime World

'No evidence' that Nice truck driver had links to terrorist networks

Crime WorldBy Sunday World
Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel
Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel

Investigators have found no evidence so far that the truck driver who killed 84 people in Nice had links to "terrorist networks", France's interior minister has said.

Bernard Cazeneuve said on RTL radio on Monday that while the Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for the Bastille Day attack, the driver may have been motivated by IS messages but was not necessarily co-ordinating with a larger network.

"These links for now have not been established by the investigation," he said.

Authorities say Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel, a 31-year-old Tunisian living in Nice, had become recently and rapidly radicalised.

Mr Cazeneuve said that of 308 people injured in the attack last Thursday evening, 59 are still in hospital, 29 of them in intensive care.

Many of the dead and injured were children watching a firework display with their families.