NewsCrime World

Man who tried to drum up support for ISIS outside Topshop faces jail

Ibrahim Anderson (left) and Shah Jahan Kahn leaving court
Ibrahim Anderson (left) and Shah Jahan Kahn leaving court

A Muslim convert is facing jail for trying to drum up support for Islamic State outside Topshop in London's Oxford Street.

Ginger-bearded Ibrahim Anderson, 38, along with Shah Jahan Kahn, 63, were among a group which set up a stall near the flagship fashion store on the afternoon of August 9 2014, the Old Bailey was told.

The pair, from Luton, Bedfordshire, denied inviting support for a proscribed organisation and Anderson also denied possessing information likely to be useful to a terrorist on December 16 2014.

The jury deliberated for eight hours before finding them guilty.

Prosecutor Mark Seymour had told jurors the defendants spent two and a half hours speaking to passers-by and distributing a leaflet on the "so-called Caliphate" which had been re-established earlier that summer.

He said: "These defendants, who both played their part as members of the group which invited support for IS in Oxford Street on August 9 2014, would have been well aware that this is what they were doing."

Anderson's home was later searched and a mini notebook computer was seized which contained three images that "formed part of a set of instructions for travel to Syria to support jihad", the prosecutor said.

The father-of-five, who represented himself in court, appealed to jurors to see past the news and "see who I really am - a devoted father to my family".

He said he only wanted to practise his religion and exercise his freedom of speech, adding: "I have been brave enough to come and fight my corner because I know I am innocent and have done nothing wrong."

He had denied knowing the other people who had gone to Oxford Street that day for dawah (call to Islam) - and said he only "glanced" at a leaflet he was given.

The motor mechanic only decided to go on the spur of the moment, he said.

"I know there is a group of Muslims who go there quite regularly and I was supposed to go to work but I got a cancellation and, as my wife had gone to see her mum for the day, I decided to jump on a train."

However the jury rejected his explanation and unanimously found the defendants guilty. Anderson was found guilty by a majority on the second charge.

The two men made no reaction and sat in the dock as the verdict was delivered.

They were remanded in custody to be sentenced on Friday January 29.