Italian woman admits killing daughter during trip to London
An Italian woman has admitted killing her baby daughter during a trip to London.
Federica Boscolo-Gnolo pleaded guilty to the manslaughter by diminished responsibility of two-month-old Farah between January 23 and 30 last year.
The 32-year-old, from Chioggia, who had been living and working in the UK since 2013, had initially reported her daughter had been abducted from a hotel.
She had checked into the Lily Hotel near Earls Court on Saturday January 24 with her daughter and a few possessions.
Later the same day, she checked out without Farah before contacting her parents in Italy.
They were concerned for their daughter and granddaughter's welfare and flew to London on Thursday 29 January, Scotland Yard said.
They took Boscolo-Gnolo to Hammersmith police station to report Farah missing but detectives later arrested the mother over the baby's disappearance.
Despite extensive searches at the hotel and the local rubbish dump, the little girl's body has never been found.
At a short hearing before the Old Bailey, the defendant admitted killing her daughter but denied murder.
Prosecutor Jonathan Higgs QC told the court that her plea to the lesser charge was accepted in light of three psychiatric reports.
The Recorder of London Nicholas Hilliard QC adjourned sentencing until Friday April 8.
The defendant, who spoke only to enter her plea in accented English, was remanded into a secure hospital.
Detective Inspector Jamie Stevenson said: "This is a tragic case for all involved and Boscolo-Gnolo will have to live with her actions for the rest of her life.
"Farah had already been rejected by her father, who chose not to be a part of her life, she was then victim to the one person who should have protected her most.
"Boscolo-Gnolo's parents now have to come to terms with losing their daughter, and their granddaughter who they were just getting to know."