Holiday rep suffers burns in horror Algarve acid attack
A British holiday rep is in hospital after being doused with acid at a resort in the Algarve.
Eleanor Chessell was working at the Alvor Baia Hotel in the fishing village of Alvor, southern Portugal, when she was attacked.
She was transferred from Portimao for specialist burns treatment in Lisbon, a Portimao hospital spokeswoman said.
Thomson and First Choice said they were saddened by the attack on their rep.
The corrosive liquid caused extensive burns when it was thrown across her on Saturday, according to reports.
A Thomson and First Choice spokeswoman said: "Sadly we can confirm that one of our holiday reps has been involved in a serious incident in Portugal.
"Our resort team are fully supporting our colleague and are co-operating with the investigation currently taking place by the local police.
"We would like to reassure our customers that this is an isolated incident and situations like this are extremely rare."
The four-star hotel is in the heart of the popular tourist resort on the famed coastline.
The attack comes weeks after two revellers were left partially blinded and others disfigured in an acid attack at an east London nightclub.
A Foreign Office spokesman said: "We have offered assistance to a British woman who is being treated in hospital in Lisbon following an incident in Alvor, Portugal. We are in contact with the hospital and Portuguese police."