NewsCrime World

Duo face life over execution of their 'friend'

Hidir Aksakal (Boxer Cetin)
Hidir Aksakal (Boxer Cetin)

Two men who shot their friend four times before dumping his body in a shallow grave after a row over a woman are facing life sentences.

Hidir Aksakal, 47, also known as Boxer Cetin, was murdered at a house in Tottenham in the early hours of August 17 last year and then dumped in a boggy area of Epping Forest known as Hollow Pond.

Three weeks later, a walker stumbled across his body and investigations led back to two fellow Turkish men, Yilmaz Coskun and Remzi Akguc.

Akguc 41, of Margery Street, west London, and Coskun, 36, of no fixed address, were both convicted of murder and preventing the lawful burial of a body after a trial at the Old Bailey.

A walker was off the beaten track when he came across a "foul-smelling sack" containing the body in a waterlogged area. A shovel had been discarded nearby.

Mr Aksakal had been shot four times, including a final bullet which was discharged while the gun was held inside his mouth.

Prosecutor Ed Brown QC said: "He had been shot not just once but four times - the likely last bullet was from the gun while it was held inside his mouth. This shot literally blew a hole in the top of his skull. Of course, he stood no chance at all."

Police traced the victim's last known movements to Coskun's then home in Templeton Road, Tottenham.

He was last seen by a minicab driver who had taken the victim and his killers to the house where the murder took place.

Earlier that night, they had been in a fish restaurant when an argument broke out between Mr Aksakal and Coskun over the defendant's girlfriend.

After the murder, Akguc bought a burial kit which included a shovel, tarpaulin, rope, trolley and gloves.

The murder weapon, stained with the victim's blood, was found stashed in a sock amid foliage behind the building when police searched Coskun's home.

And, despite determined efforts to clean and redecorate the property, blood from the victim as well as the two defendants was also found.

Mr Aksakal was killed in the living room and then his body stored in an upstairs bedroom for 22 hours before it was bundled into the back of a car and buried in the dead of night.

When he was arrested, Akguc blamed Coskun for the shooting, which he claimed happened while he was in the toilet.

He said there had been a row over Coskun's girlfriend's pregnancy.

In turn, Coskun denied having anything to do with it, saying he was held "against my will" in a bedroom at the time.

They will be sentenced on Wednesday.

Metropolitan Police Detective Chief Inspector Jamie Piscopo said after the verdicts: "Hidir Aksakal's murder was a cold-blooded execution with the defendants then going to great lengths to dispose of his body.

"They chose a remote part of Epping Forest for the burial, thinking presumably his remains would never be found. But they were stumbled across by a man out walking.

"While Akguc and Coskun took their time selecting a secluded part of the woods, they were less careful when buying tools to dispose of the body and were caught on CCTV. They were also caught on CCTV in the forest at the site of the burial.

"The evidence against them was overwhelming and I am pleased at their conviction today."