NewsCrime World

Death toll rises to 10 in Munich gun attack

Crime WorldBy Sunday World
Armed policeman in Munich this evening
Armed policeman in Munich this evening

A gunman who murdered nine people and injured 16 others including children at a Munich shopping centre was an 18-year-old German-Iranian, police believe.

Three people remain in a critical condition after the teenager, who has not been named, opened fire in a McDonald's before rampaging through the nearby Olympia-Einkaufszentrum mall on Friday evening.

Police said the victims killed in the massacre included adolescents, while there are children among the 16 people injured.

Unverified video footage appeared to show a man opening fire at people outside a McDonald's restaurant near to the shopping centre.

The sound of multiple shots being fired can be heard as shoppers and passers-by run for cover.

People were seen fleeing from the building in another video posted on social media.

Munich Police confirmed on Twitter that there had been eight deaths and an unknown number of injuries.

Police are urging people to avoid public places and said that they could not confirm if there were other crime scenes apart from Hanauer Street.

Police have responded to the attack in large numbers. Dozens of vehicles can be seen lining the street outside the shopping centre, and a number of armed officers and a helicopter are at the scene.

A cordon was put in place and the area has been evacuated.

Rail travel and public transport in the city has been stopped and Munich's central station has been closed, according to local media.

Drivers have been urged to clear the motorways around Munich, and nightclubs in the city will remain closed on Friday night, local media said.

A helpline for anyone requiring information on relatives or friends has been set up:

Refuge has been offered to people stranded around the city via social media, under the hashtag #OffeneTur - or #OpenDoor - inviting people to stay if they are unable to get home.

Facebook's Safety Check feature has also been activated so that people can let friends and family know that they are safe.

The shopping centre in the northern part of Munich is not far from the city's Olympic stadium in the Moosach district of the Bavarian capital.

Munich Police previously said in a statement: "At around ten to six today there were witnesses who called the police and said there was a shooting at the Hanauer Street.

"The shooting moved from that street to the shopping centre. The witnesses said there were three different people with weapons."

The attack took place on the fifth anniversary of the lone wolf terrorist attacks by Anders Behring Breivik in Norway in which 77 people were killed.