NewsCrime World

Becky Watts' stepbrother remanded in custody

Nathan Matthews
Nathan Matthews

The stepbrother of 16-year-old Becky Watts has appeared in court charged with her murder.

Nathan Matthews, 28, spoke only to confirm his name, address and date of birth at the hearing at Bristol Magistrates' Court.

No details of the case against him were revealed to the court and he did not enter a plea to the single charge of murdering Becky between February 18 and March 1 in Bristol.

Matthews, who was unshaven and wearing a blue T-shirt, was handcuffed to a female dock officer and led to the cells.

He will next appear at Bristol Crown Court by video link tomorrow, District Judge Lynne Matthews said.

"As we all know, this case will have to go to the Crown Court," the judge told Matthews.

"I cannot entertain any application for bail this morning and thus I will remand you in custody until tomorrow."

Matthews, of Hazelbury Drive in Warmley, showed no emotion throughout the hearing.

Members of Becky's immediate family did not attend the short session.

Matthews' girlfriend, Shauna Hoare, 21, was then brought in to the dock for her case to be heard.

Hoare, also dressed in a baggy blue t shirt, spoke only to confirm her name, address and date of birth.

She did not enter a plea to the single charge of perverting the course of justice and no bail application was made.

The charge states that Hoare "did a series of acts which had the tendency to pervert the course of public justice in that you hindered the police investigation to assist Nathan Matthews and intended for him to avoid detection for the murder of Rebecca Watts".

Hoare, of Cotton Mill Lane, Bristol, was then handcuffed to a female dock officer and led to the cells.

The judge said: "This case also has to go to the Crown Court and is connected to the previous case.

"I understand that there is no application for bail. I send your case to the Crown Court at Bristol."

Hoare will appear before the court for a preliminary hearing on April 2.

The public gallery in court room one, where the pair appeared, was packed with 40 people - mostly journalists.

Members of the public waiting outside banged on the walls of a white custody van which left at 10.55 am and shouted abuse as it drove from the court. Four men and one woman, arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender, remain in police custody.

Becky, described as "wonderful" by her family, vanished from her home in Crown Hill, Bristol, at 11.15am on February 19.

Avon and Somerset Police launched a huge search - involving six police teams each day - after she was reported missing the following afternoon.

On Monday night, detectives received information that Becky's body had been "cut up" and they attended a house in Barton Court, Barton Hill, Bristol.

Body parts were discovered at the address, which continues to be combed by forensics teams.

A private ambulance was seen leaving the property on Tuesday afternoon. Bouquets, teddies and cards have been left at the family home where Becky went missing, and at the site where body parts were found.

The five people arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender following the grim discovery are four men, aged 29, 29, 23 and 23, and one woman, also aged 23.

Matthews was previously identified as the teenager's stepbrother - the son of her father Darren's wife Anjie - by family members.