Becky Watts’ killers lose challenges to convictions and sentences
The killers of teenager Becky Watts have lost challenges against their convictions and sentences.
Her stepbrother Nathan Matthews, 29, and his girlfriend Shauna Hoare, 22, had their cases dismissed by three judges at the Court of Appeal in London.
The proceedings followed an earlier rejection of the pair's applications for permission to appeal by a single judge.
A ruling on their renewed bids for permission was given on Thursday by Lady Justice Macur, Mrs Justice Nicola Davies and the Recorder of Liverpool, Judge Clement Goldstone.
Matthews was sentenced in November to life imprisonment with a minimum term of 33 years in jail after being found guilty of 16-year-old Becky's murder.
Hoare was jailed for 17 years after being convicted of manslaughter.
Bristol Crown Court heard they targeted Becky due to their dislike of her and a shared sexual interest in petite teenage girls.
Thursday's hearing was watched via video link from Bristol by members of Becky's family.
Announcing the decision, Lady Justice Macur said: "We are satisfied that there is no reasonable argument that the convictions are unsafe or that the sentences were wrong in principle or manifestly excessive."
Lady Justice Macur announced: "We intend to dismiss the applications for both leave to appeal against conviction and leave to appeal against sentence."
The court's reasons for reaching the decision to reject the applications will be given in a written judgment at a later date.
Detective Inspector Richard Ocone, of Avon and Somerset Police, said in a statement after the hearing: "Our thoughts remain with Becky's family and friends who have had to endure several court hearings following the trial last year.
"We hope they will be able to take some closure from this decision which was the last attempt by Nathan Matthews and Shauna Hoare to challenge their prison sentences."