NewsCrime World

Becky Watts' boyfriend called to her house hours after she had been killed

Becky Watts
Becky Watts

The boyfriend of Becky Watts went looking for her hours after she had been killed, a court has heard.

Teenager Becky had not been replying to Luke Oberhansli's text messages so, on the afternoon of her death, he went to her home in St George, Bristol.

Mr Oberhansli, now 18, said he knocked on the front door and Shauna Hoare - who is accused of murdering 16-year-old Becky - answered.

He said he spoke to Hoare and she spoke to Becky's stepmother, Anjie Galsworthy, and both women went to check the teenager's bedroom - leaving Mr Oberhansli waiting on the doorstep, Bristol Crown Court heard.

Prosecutors allege that by this time Becky was already dead, having been murdered by Hoare, 21, and her boyfriend, Nathan Matthews, 28, in her home.

Nathan Matthews and Shauna Hoare

Her body was then put in the boot of the couple's Vauxhall Zafira car and left outside Becky's house until the evening, when they drove home.

In a written statement, Mr Oberhansli told the court: "I am not aware that Becky had any problems or anxieties about anything. On a day-to-day basis she always seemed happy. She wasn't moody.

"I last saw her on Tuesday February 17. I went around to her house after I finished college. I went up to her room and played on the Xbox. She was playing a game on my iPad. She seemed normal.

"We were texting all day on Wednesday February 18. She was replying quickly until I said I was going to sleep. She said she was in a happy mood. The conversation ended at 11.19pm.

"I got a text at 3.52am saying 'I love you so much'. I was asleep so didn't reply.

"We continued texting the following and everything seemed fine. The last text I sent was at 11.21am."

He told the court he had a dental appointment on the morning of Becky's death, then went to a barber's to get his hair cut, leaving at around 3pm.

"In this time I had made a few attempts to contact Becky by texts, none of which were delivered," he said.

"It was unusual for Becky not to reply so I walked to her house. I knocked on the door and Shauna answered the door.

"I asked if Becky was there, she asked Anjie, Becky's step-mum, who replied that she didn't think so.

"They looked in Becky's room and she wasn't there, so Anjie said she would let Becky know I had knocked when Becky was home."

He added that he remained on the doorstep the whole time.

"I think Anjie said to me it was strange that Becky was not replying to my text messages," he said.

Matthews, of Hazelbury Drive, Warmley, South Gloucestershire, denies murder and conspiracy to kidnap.

He has pleaded guilty to perverting the course of justice, preventing burial of a corpse and possessing a prohibited weapon.

Hoare, of Cotton Mill Lane, Bristol, denies murder, conspiracy to kidnap, perverting the course of justice, preventing burial of a corpse and possessing a prohibited weapon.

Donovan Demetrius, 29, of Marsh Lane, Redfield, Bristol, and James Ireland, 23, of Richmond Villas, Avonmouth, each deny a charge of assisting an offender.

Karl Demetrius, 29, and his partner Jaydene Parsons, 23, both of Barton Court, Bristol, have pleaded guilty to assisting an offender after Becky's dismembered body was discovered in their shed. Both maintain they were unaware of what the packages actually contained.

Matthews admitted he killed Becky but insists Hoare had nothing to do with it.

He told police after his arrest that he put Becky's body into the boot of the Vauxhall without his girlfriend knowing.

They then drove home to Cotton Mill Lane, Bristol, and when Hoare had gone to bed he took the teenager's body from the car and into their house.

Over the coming days he dismembered the teenager's corpse with a circular power saw bought from B&Q and wrapped the remains up in plastic bags.

But prosecutors allege the pair embarked on a sexually motivated plan together to kidnap and murder Becky.

William Mousley QC told the jury: "You can be sure this was no accident when he killed her, this was not something that just went wrong, you can be sure that Nathan Matthews is guilty of murder and her proximity, her involvement and her behaviour and the sheer implausibility of her version of events on the evidence which is available and the ridiculous concept that she was in blissful ignorance of what was happening at the time."

A next-door neighbour of Matthews and Hoare said they were usually "very, very quiet" but described hearing noises coming from their house the night before Becky died.

"There was shouting and screaming between Shauna and Nathan," Sarah Webb said.

"It was for more than half an hour. It was very unusual. They were very, very quiet people. We never heard bumps or banging or people on the stairs. We often thought that they weren't actually in."

The following afternoon, Mrs Webb said, she heard further noises from the property.

"There was lots of running up and down the stairs very, very quickly, banging, slamming doors, scraping, furniture being moved, a suitcase being rolled across a wooden floor which was upstairs," she told the court.

"I remember thinking it was annoying because I wanted to put my little one down for a nap and with the banging she was finding it difficult to sleep.

"There was one voice at one point, a man's voice. He said one single word, I couldn't work out what it was.

"It sounded like the bed was being lifted across the floor, like something heavy was being dragged. It was unusual, we never heard anything from them."

She described Hoare as "very withdrawn, she was very shy".

"She didn't want to make contact, she didn't want to make friends," she said.

"When I spoke to her she wouldn't reply, she would look away. I may be a little biased but I took these things to mean she may be in an abusive relationship."

Jurors were played the 999 call Darren Galsworthy made to police on the afternoon of February 20 reporting his daughter missing.

When the call was played Mr Galsworthy and his wife were not present in the public gallery.

Pc Lamorna Trahair responded to the missing person's report and attended her home in Crown Hill.

She said Matthews answered the door and he invited the two officers inside where Mr Galsworthy and his wife Anjie were sat on the sofa in the lounge.

Hoare, the officer said, was sitting on the floor.

"Darren, Anjie, Nathan and Shauna all appeared genuinely concerned about her disappearance and all stated it was out of character," she said in a statement.

The officer said she carried out a visual check of Becky's bedroom with Mr Galsworthy while her colleague stayed downstairs with Mrs Galsworthy, Matthews and Hoare.

She said that after the check, she went back to the lounge and noted: "Nathan and Shauna were expressing concern for her welfare."

They also wanted to know what the next steps in the police investigation would be, Pc Trahair said.

Kelly Lee, who works as a supervisor at B&Q in Bristol, served Matthews on February 20 and described him questioning the price of an £80 circular saw.

A receipt showed Matthews paid £88.40 for four items - a circular saw, gloves, face masks and goggles - at 12.51pm.

Ms Lee said she put the items through the till but Matthews queried the price on the circular saw.

She put a tannoy out for a '600', a price check for an item, and a colleague went to look at the display.

"The customer moved away from the till but where he moved to I don't remember," she said.

"My colleague came back to the till and said it was the item next to it that was the price the gentleman thought.

"I explained to the customer 'I am ever so sorry but that is the correct price'.

"The customer said he needed it for today so he would take the items. He was quite happy to pay the price that was showing."