Baby starves to death after mum's suspected overdose at her apartment
A helpless 9-month-old baby starved to death on her living room floor after her young mum died from a suspected overdose.
The heartbreaking discovery was made by the single mother's brother who told police that he went to check on her Friday morning after not hearing from her for some time.
The young mother, identified as 22-year-old Sara Kessler is believed to have been dead for more than a week.
Her baby, Casey Kessler, died sometime afterwards at her apartment in Millvale, Pennsylvania.
“This baby seemed like he was struggling because there was no source of food or anything,” a police spokesman told Trib Total Media.
Kessler and the baby lived alone, and the other second-floor apartments are vacant, the spokesperson added.
Although the result of an autopsy had not been finalised it’s suspected that she overdosed on drugs, he said.
Neighbours of the young woman said that she lived alone in a building that her grandmother died of natural causes in last November.