NewsCrime World

Armed gang attack bank with chainsaw

Armed gang attack bank with chainsaw

Armed robbers wielding a sledgehammer and chainsaw have stormed a bank in the UK.

Up to six men rammed the front of Lloyds in High Street in Cheadle, Greater Manchester, with a Ford Fiesta before two armed men wearing balaclavas tried to cut through a door and a third man torched the car outside.

The men then fled the scene empty-handed in a black Range Rover which was found burnt out nearby.

Three members of staff were inside the bank at the time but nobody was injured.

Greater Manchester Police (GMP)said the incident happened shortly before 9.15 am on Friday and are appealing for information.

Inspector David Fulton, of GMP's Stockport borough, said: "This was a brazen robbery conducted in broad daylight on one of the main streets running through Cheadle.

"It has left staff members completely terrified when they were just starting work for the day and it is fortunate that nobody was harmed.

"It took place during rush-hour on a busy road with lots of people going to work or out shopping so someone must have seen this going on."

Road closures remain in place in High Street between Wilmslow Road and Manchester Road while fire crews extinguish the vehicle and police carry out inquiries.

Anyone with information should call police on 101, quoting incident number 506 of 29/07/16, or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.

One witness who was working five doors down from the bank at farm produce store W Hulme said she saw the men fleeing from the scene.

After hearing the commotion, Mel McDonough, 19, exited from her shop and witnessed one man pulling off registration plates from the black Fiesta before setting it on fire.

She said the three balaclava clad men had targeted the cash point first before two then entered the building.

She said: "The men were running out of Lloyds wearing balaclavas and carrying a chainsaw and sledgehammer and duffle bags. The third threw something into the car which had crashed and then the car set on fire. They had rammed that car into the cash point. They got into the other car and fled away."

She said that people in the street were screaming as the car erupted in flames.

Miss McDonough added: "The first thing I thought was that I needed to get pictures for the police. It was very surreal. It seemed well thought out, well planned and then the Range Rover drove away."