NewsCrime World

15-year-old girl arrested in connection with death of child

15-year-old girl arrested in connection with death of child

A teenager has been arrested after the death of a seven-year-old girl, UK police have said.

Officers are questioning the 15-year-old girl after officers were called to an address in Woodthorpe, York, and found the victim nearby with life-threatening injuries.

The girl was taken to hospital but died a short time later, North Yorkshire Police said.

A force spokesman said: "Police were called shortly after 4.30pm on Monday 9 January to an address in Alness Drive in York.

"Officers attended and, upon visiting a scene nearby, they found a seven-year-old girl with life-threatening injuries.

"An ambulance attended and the girl was taken to York District Hospital, where she sadly died a short time later.

"A 15-year-old girl has been arrested in connection with the incident. She remains in police custody for questioning.

"Officers remain at the scene while the investigation to establish the full circumstances surrounding the death of the girl continues."

The York City and East neighbourhood policing team tweeted: "Difficult late shift for all York staff with tragic death of a 7 year old. Thoughts go out to family members."

Alness Drive is a quiet street lined with red-brick detached homes, lying to the south east of the city centre.

On Tuesday morning, a grass track leading from the quiet cul-de-sac to a playing field was cordoned off.

A white tent could be seen beyond the cordon.

A single police van was parked on the driveway of a house neighbouring the track to the field.

A woman living in the house said a woman arrived in the street by car on Monday afternoon and said she was the mother of the two girls, who are believed to be sisters.

She described how she saw the mother on her knees crying in the road.

She said: "I saw the mother, she said she was the mother. The girls are sisters."

She added: "I arrived in my car behind the mother.

"I wasn't quite sure what was going on, it wasn't until I spoke to the police that I found out.

"The mother was on her knees in the middle of the road, crying and saying things.

"It was quite distressing."

The woman, who did not want to be named, said the family did not live in the street of six red-brick detached houses.

She said: "We've all been here a long time, there's no children in this street."

The woman said children often played on the field in the summer.

Rob McCartney, 50, who lives in one of the homes next to the track, said he saw the young girl lying in the field.

He said the child's mother was "distraught", shouting for help and saying her daughter had been killed.

He said: "I came to the door to see what was happening there. The mother came running up the street shouting for help and saying 'Get an ambulance'.

"I put my shoes on, went up the side of the house. I could see a young girl lying in the field, police were already attending to her."

Mr McCartney added: "(The mother) was back and forth, obviously very, very distraught and who I think was the father turned up.

"I spoke to her later, asked if she was OK and she said 'No, no, she's my little girl'.

"She said 'I think she's killed her'.

"They were obviously very distraught. Didn't want to talk to people, the two of them took themselves off, were consoling each other. I didn't recognise them."