Youth who beat homeless man unconscious with bottle jailed

Youth who beat homeless man unconscious with bottle jailed

A DUBLIN youth, who knocked a homeless man unconscious by striking him with a bottle, has been given a five-month sentence.

The man had the back of his head slashed when he was attacked as he was trying to find somewhere to live, the Dublin Children's Court heard.

The 17-year-old, who expressed no remorse in court, pleaded guilty to assault causing harm at Parnell Street in Dublin city-centre on the afternoon of March 19 last year.

Garda Thomas Power said the boy, who cannot be named because he is a minor, approached the man and had a discussion with him about his Ipad.

The court heard he asked the victim to hand over his Ipad but the man refused.

Gda Power said the man, “went to walk away and was struck on the back of his head with a one-litre bottle of West Coast Cooler”.

Gda Power said the victim, who lost consciousness, had been having difficulty finding accommodation and that was why he had his Ipad out.

The judge was told the blow "slashed him on the back of his head", he was rushed to hospital and was in “severe pain” but has made a full recovery.

Earlier this year, the boy had a stint in custody on remand after he steadfastly refused co-operate with the Probation Service, who prepared a pre-sentence report on him for the court.

Yesterday/today (THUR), a negative report was furnished to Judge John O'Connor. He noted the boy was offered a placement in a residential centre which helps divert youths who have started getting into trouble, but the teenager refused to go.

Defence counsel Damian McKeone said the probation report was of little benefit to the boy and he asked the court to consider an adjournment to motivate him.

He said the teen, who was accompanied to court by his mother, dropped out of school early, and has never returned to education, and there were concerns over his peers.

Judge O'Connor said the victim suffered a significant injury, and he had “no alternative” but to impose a custodial sentence.

He also said the boy “has form in court in relation to outbursts and attitude”. He also said the teen had been given every opportunity by the Probation Service and he knew what to expect.

The boy, remained silent but spoke briefly at the end of the hearing saying, “yeah, yeah, no bother” to his lawyer.