Youth caught prowling has six month sentence hanging over him
A YOUTH caught prowling at a south Dublin house which was under-going renovations has been left with a six-month sentence hanging over him.
The 16-year-old boy, who pleaded guilty at the Dublin Children's Court to a litany of charges for offences committed over a two-year period, has also been given a two-year road-ban along with a final chance to avoid a custodial sentence.
He admitted taking part in burglary at a house on Belgrave Road in Monkstown in south Co. Dublin on May 2013. The house was being renovated when the youth and another older male entered, however, no property was taken.
He also admitted having a “foil-lined bag” for use in a theft offence in November last year. The first offence was on Christmas Day 2012 when he broke into a car and stole a Swiss Army knife and a driving licence.
The north Dublin boy, who was accompanied to court by his mother, also admitted driving without a licence or insurance on March 18 last year.
Judge John O'Connor made a six-month deferred detention order and said the sentence will be activated if the teenager does not comply with a list of conditions. The boy was told he must stay out of trouble, attend a training course after a placement was arranged by the Probation Service and go to a youth mentoring service.
He must keep going to appointments with the Probation Service to address his offending.
The case was adjourned until May. The boy, who remains on bail, said he understood when the judge warned: “If you don't comply you will get six-months' detention.”