Woman charged with Gareth Hutch murder back in court

Regina Keogh
Regina Keogh

A 39-year-old woman accused of the murder of Gareth Hutch, who was shot dead outside his home in Dublin, has been further remanded in custody.

Father-of-one Gareth Hutch (35), a nephew of Gerry “the Monk” Hutch, was gunned down as he was getting into his car outside Avondale House flats, on North Cumberland Street in inner city Dublin on the morning of May 24 last year.

His death came during a series of killings in the feud between Hutch and Kinahan gangs.

Last weekend, mother of five Regina Keogh from Kings Inn Street, Dublin, was remanded in custody after she was charged and appeared at Dublin District Court. Garda Sgt Enda O'Sullivan had said she replied: “I didn't do it. I didn't murder anybody”.

The district court cannot grant bail in murder cases and she was remanded in custody.

Her solicitor had asked that she be seen by a doctor as she is on a lot of medication.

Today she faced her second hearing at district court.

Dressed in a black skirt and top she remained silent as defence solicitor Philip Hannon told Judge Anthony Halpin that his client was consenting to being further remanded in custody for another two weeks.

Judge Halpin noted from Garda Sgt O’Sullivan that the Director of Public Prosecutions has directed trial on indictment and a book of evidence needs to be prepared. Judge Halpin further remanded her in custody for another two weeks.

He said it will take some time to complete the book of evidence and the case will be listed for mention on the next date.

He noted that at her last court hearing there was a direction for Ms Keogh to receive medical attention. Mr Hannon said it is on going and Judge Halpin agreed to continue that order.

She will face her next hearing on June 30 next.

Last Saturday the UK’s National Crime Agency, in conjunction An Garda Siochana and the London Metropolitan Police, arrested her 31-year-old brother Jonathan Keogh in the Romford area of Essex in the UK on foot of a European Arrest warrant.

The arrest was made in relation to the investigation into the murder of Gareth Hutch. He remains in custody pending extradition proceedings.

Their brother Michael Keogh was shot dead in a car at Sheridan Court in Dublin's north inner city last week.

In February, 30-year-old Thomas Fox, who has an address at Rutland Court, in north inner city Dublin, was sent forward for trial to the Special Criminal Court. He is also accused of the murder of Gareth Hutch.