Victim had spleen removed following brutal Temple Bar knife attack

CourtsBy Tom Tuite
Victim had spleen removed following brutal Temple Bar knife attack

A DUBLIN youth has been charged over a knife attack in Temple Bar which left a man fighting for his life.

Michael Power (20), with an address at Parslickstown Gardens, Mulhuddart is charged with two counts of assault causing harm to the  man on June 27 last at Cope Street and at Anglesea Street in Temple Bar.

He is also charged with two counts of possession of a knife with intent unlawfully to cause injury to incapacitate or intimidate another.

No plea was entered and he was refused bail today by Judge Michael Walsh at Dublin District Court.

The injured man, Thomas Hanrahan, received numerous stab wounds and has had to have emergency surgery resulting in his spleen being removed.

Today he remained in hospital in a critical condition.

Gda Kieran O'Sullivan told Judge Walsh that Mr Power made no reply when charged and the court heard there was an objection to bail due to the seriousness of the case.

Gda O'Sullivan said it was alleged that between 7.40pm and 7.50pm on June 27, Mr Power approached Thomas Hanrahan who was sitting on his own. It was alleged he inflicted “multiple stab wounds to his back and side”.

The court was told Thomas Hanrahan fled onto Anglesea Street and it was alleged Mr Power stopped chasing him and walked around Central Bank Plaza. Gda O'Sullivan said it was alleged that a few minutes later Mr Power attacked Thomas Hanrahan again and “slashed him in the face” and left a wound “that started on the back of the head and comes around to front of his face”.

Judge Walsh was told the man was rushed to hospital for emergency surgery and has had his spleen removed. The court heard there was CCTV evidence and witnesses said the attacker had a flick-knife in his hand.

Mr Power, dressed in a blue shirt, grey trousers and brown runners, remained silent during the hearing. His solicitor Amanda Connolly said her client would abide by bail conditions such as a curfew and would agree to stay out of the city-centre. His father and family would ensure he abided by bail conditions, the lawyer said.

However, Judge Walsh refused due to the seriousness of the case and remanded Mr Power in custody to appear at Cloverhill District Court on Tuesday. He granted legal aid and agreed to direct that the defendant would get medical attention in custody. 

He was the second person charged over assaults in Temple Bar on the same date.

Co-accused Darren Donovan (18), also of Parslickstown Gardens, Mulhuddart, was granted bail after he appeared in court on Thursday evening. He was charged with one count of assault causing harm to another man at Fleet Street. He has been ordered to stay out of the D.1, D.2 and D.8 areas and must sign on regularly at his local garda station pending his next hearing in September.

A third man, who had been questioned in connection with the incidents, has been released without charge pending the preparation of a file for the DPP.