US tourist accused of seriously assaulting her mother in Dublin hotel

CourtsBy Sunday World
The alleged incident took place in The Fleet Street Hotel in Temple Bar (Image via Google Maps)
The alleged incident took place in The Fleet Street Hotel in Temple Bar (Image via Google Maps)

A US tourist accused of carrying out a serious assault on her mother at a hotel in Dublin city-centre has been released on strict bail conditions.

Kayla Frost, 25, from Avenida Esperanza, Encinitas, California appeared at Dublin District Court is charged with assault causing harm to her mother Kimberley Frost at the Fleet Street Hotel on Sunday.

Her mother has been hospitalised with a serious eye injury.

Ms Frost made her first court appearance on Monday when no bail application was made and she was then remanded in custody with an order for a psychiatric assessment to be carried out, while her father Jim Frost was expected to travel over from the United States.

Mr Frost and Shannon Farrell, chief of the consular section at US Embassy, stood bail yesterday as the case was adjourned for directions from the DPP to be obtained.

Dressed in a grey tracksuit and runners for her second appearance on Wednesday, she sat silently and smiled as Judge Michael Walsh noted there was no objection to bail.

However, he was told that this was subject to her obeying a list of strict conditions which were set by the court.

Defence solicitor Matthew Kenny said Ms Frost agreed to obey the bail terms which included having to surrender her passport and not being allowed to apply for new travel documents.

Her father was in court with bail money and she was to be released into his care as well as that of Ms Farrell from the American embassy.

The court heard she would have to attend a doctor for an assessment and she must be brought to a hospital and remain there “until such a time as gardai are satisfied as to her fitness to be released, based on medical evidence”.

Mr Frost and Ms Farrell were told they had to notify Garda Niall McLoughlin of the location of the hospital and immediately contact him if they were aware of “potential breaches of bail conditions”.

Ms Frost did not address the court and was granted bail in her own bond of €200 with her father and the embassy official being allowed to act as independent sureties in the sums of €2,000 and €200 respectively.

Mr Frost and Ms Farrell also told the court they understood their obligations under the bail terms.

Judge Walsh noted that directions from the DPP need to be obtained and he told Garda McLoughlin that the case should be given priority. Following her release, Ms Frost, who has not yet entered a plea, was embraced by her father and they spoke quietly for a few minutes before they left the courthouse together.

At her first court hearing on Monday, the judge was told she made no reply when charged.