Trial hears deceased was living a ‘chaotic’ life before he was stabbed to death

Vallence and McGrath
Vallence and McGrath

A murder trial has heard that the deceased man was drinking heavily and living a chaotic life before he was stabbed to death in a squat occupied by homeless immigrants.

Jacek Kozakiewicz (44), was found dead on the floor of a makeshift kitchen in what used to be Vallence & McGrath's pub on Dublin's North Wall Quay on February 26, 2014. He had suffered more than 20 stab wounds.

Today at the Central Criminal Court Detective Sergeant John Brady of Store Street Garda Station told defence counsel Michael Bowman SC that the dead man had frequently come before the courts.

Det Sgt Brady agreed that most of the convictions were for drink-related, public order offences but some were more serious. In April 2009 he was given a three month suspended sentence for carrying two stanley knives.

He served three months in prison in 2010 for possession of a crowbar. Back in 2006 he was arrested when, according to the garda Pulse system, he was "threatening young children with a knife".

He had further convictions for threatening and abusive behaviour and handling stolen property.

The longest sentence he received was six months for theft.

He agreed with Mr Bowman that Jacek was "a man who appears to have been drinking quite a lot and living a chaotic life".

He said that Jacek was known to be the boss at the squat he shared with four other Polish people and that he was described as a "gentleman" by others who lived there. He said that gardai were aware of the squat before the killing but that there was a dispute over ownership of the building.

With no recognised owner, there was no official way gardai could make them leave.

He said that a garda had inspected the squat in December, two months before the killing, and told the people living there to be careful.

Andrzej Wawrzyniak (38), with no fixed address, has pleaded not (NOT) guilty to murdering Jacek Kozakiewicz (44), at the derelict pub on Dublin's North Wall Quay on

February 26, 2014. Mr Wawrzyniak pleaded guilty to a second count of assault causing harm to Filip Talaj (31), at the same place on the same date.

The prosecution finished its evidence today and will begin its closing speech to the jury of nine men and three women tomorrow (THU) morning.