US tourist accused of seriously assaulting her mother in Dublin city-centre hotel

CourtsBy Tom Tuite
The incident allegedly happened at the Fleet Street Hotel
The incident allegedly happened at the Fleet Street Hotel

A US tourist accused of carrying out a serious assault on her mother at a hotel in Dublin city centre has been remanded on continuing bail pending directions from the DPP.

Kayla Frost, 25, from Avenida Esperanza, Encinitas, California is charged with assault causing harm to her mother Kimberley Frost at the Fleet Street Hotel on October 9 last. Her mother was hospitalised with a serious eye injury.

Ms Frost made her first court appearance at Dublin District Court on October 10 when no bail application was made. She was then remanded in custody with an order for a psychiatric assessment to be carried out, while her father Jim Frost travelled over from the United States.

Mr Frost and Shannon Farrell, chief of the consular section at US Embassy, later stood bail and she was released with strict conditions while the case adjourned for two weeks.

When it resumed, Judge Michael Walsh noted that the young woman was unable to attend the latest hearing and he granted a three-week adjournment in her absence. The case resumes on November 16 when it will be listed for directions from the DPP to be outlined.

Earlier, defence solicitor Matthew Kenny said Ms Frost,who has not yet entered a plea, had agreed to obey the bail terms which included having to surrender her passport and not being allowed to apply for new travel documents.

Her father was in court with bail money and she was released into his care, as well as that of Ms Farrell from the American embassy. Her father and the embassy official were allowed to act as independent sureties in the sums of €2,000 and €200 respectively.

The court heard she would have to attend a doctor for an assessment and she must be brought to a hospital and remain there "until such a time as gardai are satisfied as to her fitness to be released, based on medical evidence".

Mr Frost and Ms Farrell were told they had to notify Garda Niall McLoughlin of the location of the hospital and immediately contact him if they were aware of "potential breaches of bail conditions".

At her first court hearing, the judge heard the defendant made no reply when charged.