Thugs unwittingly stole €22k worth of necklaces after robbing man they attacked

Dame Lane
Dame Lane

Two men unwittingly stole necklaces worth €22,000 after taking a bag from a man they attacked and repeatedly kicked, a court has heard.

Jordan Carthy (22) of St Mary’s Road, East Wall and Shane Walsh (18) of Thomas Davis Street, Inchicore, Dublin pleaded guilty to assault causing harm and the robbery of two necklaces worth a combined €22,000 at Dame Lane, Dublin 2 on September 9, 2016.

Garda Frank Johnson told Noel Devitt BL, prosecuting, at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court, that the victim, Richard Bergin, turned down Dame Lane in the early hours after a night out.

Mr Bergin was assaulted by three men and his bag was stolen.

Within the bag were two necklaces with a combined value of €22,000 which he had borrowed for his aunt from a jewellery shop in which he worked.

Gda Johnson identified both Walsh and Carthy on the CCTV footage.

Both of the accused and another unidentified man kicked the victim while he was on the ground during the initial assault.

The victim briefly walked away from the men before being knocked back onto the ground by Walsh. Walsh proceeded to stamp on his face while the other two men again joined in the assault.

“Mr Carthy performed a little dance taunting the victim” Gda Johnson said, which enabled him to identify Carthy in the footage. Walsh took Mr Bergin’s bag as he left the scene.

Mr Bergin suffered a broken nose and bruising to the head.

He was unable to recall many details of the assault when interviewed by gardaí.

“I genuinely thought I was going to be killed in that lane, I am lucky to be alive today,” said Mr Bergin in a victim impact statement read aloud in court.

Gda Johnson arrested Walsh in Stephen’s Green on the same day. At the time of the arrest Walsh was wearing one of the necklaces, had the stolen bag with him and was crying.

Walsh was also wearing a jacket belonging to Carthy which continued his social services card. Carthy was arrested three days later in his home.

Both men were intoxicated at the time of the assault and maintained when interviewed by the gardaí that they did not remember the incident.

They were unaware the necklaces were in the bag before the incident.

During questioning Walsh accepted that Mr Bergin did not attack the men and that they initiated the violence.

He said that he “went overboard” regarding the assault on Mr Bergin.

Walsh has eight previous convictions including theft, burglary and a case of assault causing harm which was tried in the Children’s Court.

Carthy has 54 previous convictions including minor assault, theft, possession of an article, possession of drugs and failing to appear.

Both men were out on bail at the time of the incident.

Judge Karen O’Connor remanded the two in custody and adjourned the sentencing until July 26th next.