Three men charged with using nail gun on victim in horrific 'crucifixion plot'

Nail gun (Stock image)
Nail gun (Stock image)

THREE men who allegedly acted together to "crucify" a man at a house in Limerick city, have been remanded in continuing custody after appearing before the District Court court this Tuesday morning.

All three accused men are charged with the false imprisonment of Dan Quilligan, a Rathkeale-based member of the Travelling community.

The three accused are also charged with assault causing harm to Mr Quilligan.

The offences are alleged to have occurred at a house at Larch Court, Kennedy Park, Limerick city on September 14, 2015.

A solicitor, representing the accused men, consented to them being remanded in custody for a two-week period.

Sergeant John Moloney, Henry Street garda station, prosecuting, told the court the State was "awaiting directions" from the office of the Director of Public Prosecutions.

During an earlier bail application hearing, Gardai alleged Mr Quilligan was lured to a house in Kennedy Park and subjected to an "animalistic" attack.

Gardai alleged two nails had to be surgically removed from the victim's feet after he later managed to escape from the house.

Ger Mackin (33), with an address at Star Court, John Carew Park; Mark Heffernan (32), of Swallow Drive, John Carew Park; and Patrick Hayes (52) of Larch Court, Kennedy Park, are alleged to have been involved in the shocking attack.

Gardai alleged, that after arriving at the house, Mr Quilligan, (52), was threatened and set upon by three men dressed in white protective "forensic" style boiler suits.

During the contested bail hearing, Detective Garda David Bourke claimed that the alleged assailants told Mr Quilligan they were members of the IRA, and threatened him with a nail gun.

The court heard the gun was normally used for driving nails into timber.

Det Gda Bourke, Henry Street garda station, further alleged that the assailants asked Mr Quilligan if he would ‘like it in the eye or the head’.

The court heard that a nail was shot through each of Mr Quilligan's feet, and the two nails were later surgically removed in hospital.

Det Garda Bourke said it was an extremely violent attack, "almost animalistic in nature, to effectively crucify him".

It was also alleged that the men demanded €15,000 from Mr Quilligan.

Judge Mary Larkin, who has previously refused to grant the three men bail, remanded each of the accused in continuing custody, to appear before the district court again, via video-link, and for DPP directions, on June 28.