NewsCourts

Teen's false imprisonment trial set

Court hammer.jpg
Court hammer.jpg

A TEENAGER, who was allegedly armed with a broken bottle when he held a man in a Dublin city-centre alley for 15 minutes, has been sent forward for trial to Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.

The 16-year-old boy, who cannot be named because he is a minor, was served with a book of evidence when he appeared at the Dublin Children's Court which had previously refused jurisdiction to hear the case.

He is charged with robbery of a 19-year-old man of a phone and €220 at Preston Street  on June 2, false imprisonment of the youth and threatening to kill him.

It had been held that his case was too serious to be dealt with in the juvenile court and should be transferred to the circuit court which has tougher sentencing powers.

He was refused bail and will face his next hearing on January 15th. In October, a 15-year-old boy, whose case was kept in the Children's Court was detained for five months, for his role in the incident.

Garda John Saunderson told Judge John O'Connor it would be claimed that young man was befriended by two youths and agreed to buy them cigarettes. Afterwards he was allegedly threatened by the youths who had a broken bottle. They walked him down a lane, searched by them and his phone and ATM card were taken, it was alleged.

It was alleged the 16-year-old had the bottle and held the man for 15 minutes while an accomplice went to an ATM machine with his card and withdrew €220.

CCTV evidence showed a number of locations in the city-centre where the young man interacted with the two youths, the juvenile court was told.

Judge O'Connor heard it was alleged the teens walked the man to Connolly train station “and instructed him to take a train home”.