Teenager (15) caught with samurai sword in Dublin city centre
A 15-YEAR-OLD boy was carrying a samurai sword “for his own safety” when he was stopped in Dublin city-centre, a court has heard.
The first-time offender pleaded guilty at the Dublin Children's Court to unlawfully possessing the sword as a weapon at Aston Quay on the afternoon of June 30.
Outlining the evidence, Garda Stephen Farrelly told Judge John O'Connor the boy had been noticed “acting suspiciously” at about 3pm.
Garda Christopher James had observed him and then asked him if he was carrying anything he should not have. The teenager told him he was carrying a knife and he “took out what you would call a samurai sword, one to one and a half foot long”.
The teen told the garda “he was fighting with other lads and he had it for his own safety”.
Defence solicitor Gareth Noble asked the court to note that the boy pleaded guilty at an early stage and he had no prior criminal convictions. It was accepted that the teenager had not been aggressive or holding it in a threatening manner.
The court heard he is taking part in an education course but is not engaged in sporting or social activities and he does not have a substance misuse issues.
Judge O'Connor remanded the boy, who was accompanied to court by his mother, to appear again in September when a pre-sentence probation report on him is to be furnished.