Teen who breached bail after being charged with slashing man given bail again
A 16-YEAR-OLD boy charged with attacking a young man who suffered serious facial injuries during an incident in Temple Bar in Dublin has been re-admitted to bail with stricter conditions.
The boy, who cannot be named because he is minor, has been remanded in custody last week by Judge John O'Connor at Dublin Children's Court for breaching an order barring him from the city-centre.
On May 6 he had initially been granted bail with strict conditions but he was arrested there again, in Temple Bar, that evening for possessing a knife.
The case resumed on Monday when Judge O'Connor said the teenager had been arrested in breach of bail within hours. He warned him if he breaks bail again he could go back into custody until his trial has been heard.
“I understand yeah,” the teenager replied.
Garda Keith Connors asked for a new bail term stating the teenager would not be allowed in the Dublin 1, 2, 7 and 8 areas. Judge O'Connor agreed to add that condition as well as another compelling the teenager to sign on daily at his local garda station.
Defence solicitor Michelle Finan said the new bail terms meant the boy, who cannot be named because he is a minor, would not be able to go past the canals in the city's north and south sides.
The only exception is for going to court or to his solicitor's office.
Ms Finan said the boy is now aware that breaching bail terms is a serious matter. The teen's mother told the judge that she will supervise him to ensure he abides by another condition, a 9pm to 8am curfew.
The boy was ordered to appear again next week.
He had been originally charged with assault causing harm to Andrew Cusack (21), who was taken to St James's Hospital to be treated for lacerations to his face following the alleged incident in the early hours of May 2 at Dame Lane.
Mr Cusack is the son of Professor Stephen Cusack, an expert on emergency medicine at UCC.
At the boy's first hearing on May 6, the court heard the assault case is to involve “an awful lot of CCTV as well”.
Gda Keith Connors had told Judge O'Connor that the boy was cautioned “he made no reply” to the assault charge.
The teenager also has another bail condition to “abstain from alcohol and non prescribed medication”.
Judge O'Connor has made an order for disclosure of prosecution evidence to the defence which is to include medical reports. The garda has said he would be comply and that “there is an awful lot of CCTV as well”.
The boy has not yet entered a plea to the charge. Directions from the DPP are required and a decision has yet to be made as to whether the case will remain the Children's Court or instead be sent forward to the Circuit Court, which has tougher sentencing powers.