Teen who beat a homeless man unconscious with a bottle given bail
A DUBLIN youth, who knocked a homeless man unconscious by striking him with a bottle, has been readmitted to bail.
The man had been having problems finding somewhere to live when he was attacked by the youth, the Dublin Children's Court heard.
The 17-year-old, who cannot be named because he is a minor, has pleaded guilty to assault causing harm at Parnell Street on the afternoon of March 19 last year.
However, he had been remanded in custody last week after he steadfastly refused co-operate with the Probation Service, who need to prepare a pre-sentence report on him for the court. Judge John O'Connor had explained that before proceeding to sentencing a probation report had to be obtained
After spending the week in custody, the case resumed with the youth apologising and agreeing that he would now co-operate.
Sentencing was adjourned for four weeks and the teen, who was accompanied to court by his mother, was granted bail.
Garda Thomas Power told the court the boy approached the man and had a discussion with him about his Ipad. The court heard that he asked the victim to hand over his Ipad but the man refused.
Gda Power said the man, “went to walk away and was struck on the back of his head with a one-litre bottle of West Coast Cooler”. Gda Power said the victim, who lost consciousness, had been difficulty in finding accommodation and that was why he had his Ipad out.
The judge was told the blow "slashed him on the back of his head", he was rushed to hospital and was in “severe pain” but has made a full recovery.
The teenager, who expressed no remorse, will also face another charge for unrelated incident at his next hearing.