Teen was beaten by local residents after he was allegedly caught breaking into car

Teen was beaten by local residents after he was allegedly caught breaking into car

A YOUTH facing trespassing charges was battered and bruised when he was appeared in court today after being caught by residents of a north Dublin suburb.

The 17-year-old boy, who was refused bail, was brought before the Dublin Children's Court following his arrest in the early hours of this morning.

His mother wept as he was brought into court with dried blood caked on his face and cut lip, bleeding from his mouth and with swollen, discoloured right cheek and eye.

The teenager, who also complained of sore ribs, was given tissues and cup of water in the courtroom which he used to wash blood from his mouth.

He was charged with: trespassing with intent to commit an offence at a house in Swords, unlawfully getting into and causing criminal damage to a car, possessing a metal bar for use in a motor theft at the same location, and trespassing at another residence nearby.

Gda David McKenna objected to bail telling the court that it was alleged the incident began at 4.40am yesterday.

The court heard the boy broke into a car by pulling back one of the passenger doors and he caused extensive damage to he vehicle's cowling.

Gardai arrived and spotted him concealed behind the car at which point he ran. Judge O'Connor heard that gardai and residents pursued him and he allegedly ran to the back of a house.

He was found hiding in a bush and residents from the area got to him first, the court heard.

Gardai later removed him from the scene and it was alleged the teenager refused to see a doctor called out to treat him at Swords Garda station.

As evidence was given the teenager used a cup of water to rinse blood from his mouth and he dabbed blood from one of his injuries.

The court heard the teenager alleged threatened he knew who had beaten him up and gardai feared he will interfere with witnesses.

Judge O'Connor was also told it was alleged the boy had been under the influence of intoxicants and  had told gardai he had taken a number of ecstasy tablets.

Counsel defending said the boy vehemently denies the allegations and would claim that he had gone for a walk in the area after he had a row with his father and he was attacked by a group of people.

Judge John O'Connor held the teenager was not capable of abiding by bail and he remanded the boy in custody to appear again next week.

The boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, hugged his mother who told him “love you loads” as he was escorted from the court.

No plea was entered and the judge was told gardai need to get directions from the DPP. The case resumes next week.