Teen walks into Dublin pub and tries to steal TV from wall

The youth walked into a Dublin 8 pub
The youth walked into a Dublin 8 pub

A THEN 14-year-old boy who mugged another teenager at knife-point during a crime spree was “like something out of film”, a judge said today.

In another incident the youth walked into a Dublin 8 pub and tried to walk out again with its television before he was stopped by the manager. Judge John O'Connor said “it is like something out of a film, it's outrageous stuff”.

The boy, now aged 15, pleaded guilty at the Dublin Children's Co to a litany of charges for robbery, attempted theft, criminal damage, theft, possession of cannabis, failing to turn up for a court hearing.

He is currently nearing the end of a sentence imposed in November for car theft. Judge O'Connor asked the Probation Service to provide a pre-sentence report on the boy and adjourned the case until a date in February.

The court heard that on September 24th last, the teenager mugged a 15-year-old boy in Inchicore in Dublin. Garda Paul Geraghty said the boy, who was known the victim “produced a knife” and took a phone worth €600 from the youth. 

On October 23rd last he entered the Black Lion pub and “took a TV from a wall as he was walking out and the manager stopped him”. The teen stole groceries worth €32 over two successive dates in October. He was caught possessing cannabis worth €10 on another date in the same month.

He stole a bicycle worth €350 from outside a petrol station on September 23rd last year. On date last July he broke a window at a flat in his locality.

The court heard that he had shown disregard for bail conditions and the judge commented that the teenager had been “completely and utterly out of control” and this included his demeanour in court on previous occasions. However, the judge also said the teenager has to be given credit for a change in attitude.

Defence solicitor Fergal Boyle asked the juvenile court to note the boy, who was accompanied to court by his mother, “wants to make a fresh start” and has shown genuine remorse for his actions.

The boy, who once stole a car and wrote it off in a crash, also has previous convictions for trespassing, threatening to cause criminal damage and other theft offences going back to 2014.

At one previous court hearing the boy, who had repeatedly broken bail conditions, had refused to take down his hood despite being asked by the judge and his mother to do as he was told. “Yeah? F**k it, f**k you,” the boy had shouted along with, “I'm leaving the hood up, don't get me started”.

“Sentence me, I don't care, I don't give a f**k any more, this is b******s that's what it is,” he had said. When further warned by the judge, the teenager had shouted: “I don't give a f**king b*****s, give me two years if you want”.