Dublin teen took €48k worth of coke and cannabis from dealer's guns and drugs lock-up

Nearly €50k worth of drugs, mostly cocaine, were found in the boy's bedroom
Nearly €50k worth of drugs, mostly cocaine, were found in the boy's bedroom

Sentencing of a Dublin youth, who kept almost €50,000 worth of cannabis and cocaine he stole from a lock-up full of drugs and guns, has been adjourned.

The Dublin Children's Court heard claims the teenager had difficulties which left him unable to attend his meetings with the Probation Service.

Judge John O'Connor adjourned the case to give him a chance to engage with the service, which is to provide the court with an updated pre-sentence. He has already been warned he is facing the possibility of a custodial sentence.

The drug find led to the 17-year-old boy getting threats and facing trial on serious drugs charges. He was aged 15 at the time and cannot be named because he is a minor.

At an earlier stage, there was a negative probation report on the youth. The teen was warned he will get a custodial sentence unless the next probation report is positive.

Garda Stephen Tierney told the Dublin Children's Court that in 2015, gardai learned that a large quantity of drugs and firearms had been kept in a lock-up on the city's northside.

A number of youths including the defendant also found out about it, the court heard.

Judge O'Connor was told gardai later became aware that youths had been approached and threatened.

Gardai became concerned for their safety and when they called to the boy's home, they searched his bedroom resulting in cannabis and cocaine being found in two schoolbags.

The value of the drugs found in the boy's bedroom, which was mostly cocaine, was €48,155.

The drugs were not broken up into deal bags to be sold on, the court was told. Garda Tierney agreed with the defence that the visit to the boy's home came over a concern for his safety. The youth has no prior criminal convictions.

The court has heard a number of youths had been playing football in the area when the lock-up became talked about and it "spread like wildfire" in school. Gardai learned that some youths went to the lock-up and "took bits and pieces", the court was told.

The court heard that the teenager, who was accompanied to court by his mother, moved to a different area and began taking part in a training course. He had been in school at the time and is aware of the seriousness of the charges, counsel had said at an earlier stage.

When originally charged, he told gardai: "I was not selling anything". He is charged with unlawful possession of the drugs, possession with intent to sell or supply and has pleaded guilty.

The case will be listed again later this month to see if the youth has gone to his probation appointments, and another date in June has been fixed for sentencing.