NewsCourts

Teen to be sentenced for high-speed M50 pursuit in stolen Honda

Teen to be sentenced for high-speed M50 pursuit in stolen Honda

A 16-YEAR-OLD boy will be sentenced in the new year for speeding in a stolen car that had to be “boxed in” by garda vehicles on the M50.

Judge John O'Connor noted that the teenager has complied with increased support from youth workers helping him abide by his bail terms. The boy, who cannot be named because he is a minor, recently got onto an educational course, the Dublin Children's Court also heard.

The judge told the youth and his parents that he faces the possibility of a custodial sentence and an updated probation report on him needed to be obtained.

The teenager has pleaded guilty at the Dublin Children's Court to driving a stolen car in the early hours of March 17 last. He also admitted six counts of dangerous driving as well as not having a licence or motor insurance in connection with the incident.

Garda Canice Phelan has told the court that he had been on patrol in the Blanchardstown area when gardai spotted two cars travelling on the wrong side of the road at the Littlepace roundabout in Clonee.

Gardai took up pursuit at which the two cars split up. The court heard the boy was driving a '02-reg Honda Xtreme and drove at speed through another roundabout on the wrong side. He sped through a red light forcing a taxi to take “evasive action”.

The teenager reached the N2 and crossed several lanes “without regard for other road users” said Gda Phelan, adding that the teenager did that several times.

The teenager nearly lost control of the Honda while he drove along a M50 slip road and when he crossed the motorway drivers had to take evasive action.

The court heard that as he reached the M50 toll bridge he was “boxed in” and stopped. The teenager initially resisted arrest but then became compliant and was handcuffed before he was taken to Blanchardstown Garda station.

Gda Phelan said that the owner of the hot-wire car was not aware it had been stolen. Gda Phelan also agreed with defence counsel Damian McKeone that property in the car was untouched and the teenager had no prior criminal convictions.

The boy also has other car theft related allegations before the court, however, he has not yet indicated how he will plead to those charges.