NewsCourts

Teen given probation for attack on concert goers

CourtsBy Tom Tuite
Teen given probation for attack on concert goers

A DUBLIN youth has been released on probation for his part in a vicious attack on two men following a concert by The Good, The Bad and The Ugly soundtrack composer Ennio Morricone.

The concert goers had been at the Italian conductor's classical music performance at the Royal Hospital Kilmainham, in Dublin on July 27, 2013. However, on their way home they ended up getting attacked when they expressed concern for the drunk 16-year-old boy who was “hanging out a window” getting sick.

Today, at the Dublin Children's Court, Judge John O'Connor said a probation report on the boy, who was accompanied to court by his father and his lawyer, found him to be at a "moderate risk of re-offending in the next 12 months".

Drinking, drug-taking, lack of education and “pro-criminal peers” were identified as serious issues for the boy. He had also shown a lack of victim empathy and despite his guilty plea to the assault charge had continued to dispute the prosecution's account.

Judge O'Connor spared him a sentence and imposed a 12-month probation bond. The teenager must engage with his supervising probation officer to address his offending behaviour and he has to attend a training course as well as a youth centre for pro-social activities.

Otherwise, the judge warned him, “you will come back and will receive a custodial sentence”.

Garda Daniel Hanlon had said two men, who are in their thirties, had left the music concert and were on a nearby street when they spotted the boy, “hanging out a window and were concerned he would fall out”.

“Out of concern, the injured parties asked if he was okay and from that the altercation got out of hand,” said Gda Hanlon.

The boy hit one of the men man in the face leaving him with a black eye and the teen had to be beaten off with an umbrella.

The defence had said the boy has Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, has no prior criminal convictions and was attending an educational course to do the Junior Certificate.

The court had heard “he had been drinking at the time, his memory is not clear”. 

Another youth also aged 16, struck the second man three or four times causing him to suffer a cut to the top of his head. 

That youth, who has a burglary conviction, was also placed on probation last month. At the time he and his immediate family were living in rat-infested accommodation. His mother had psychiatric problems and there had been tragic deaths in his family in the recent past, the court had heard.