Teen girl allegedly threatened student “I am going to get you f***ing sliced”
A TEENAGE girl is facing circuit court trial after a judge heard a Leaving Cert student was beaten and repeatedly stabbed by a gang after she falsely accused him of assault.
The boy, 17, lost out on a soccer scholarship in the United States as a result of injuries he allegedly sustained in the attack, the Dublin Children’s Court was told.
The 17-year-old girl is charged with assault causing harm, committing violent disorder with five others and threatening to kill or cause serious harm to the boy, who was seriously injured on Sept. 19, 2015 at Edenmore Park, in Donaghmede.
She was aged 15 at the time but Judge John O’Connor held that her case is too serious to be heard in the juvenile court and must go forward to the circuit court, which has tougher sentencing powers. His ruling came after he was presented with a summary of the prosecution evidence and heard defence submissions about the girl’s background.
In an outline of the allegations, Garda Brian Healy said the 17-year-old boy intervened in a row between the defendant and another girl. He walked the second girl to a place of safety.
It was alleged the defendant assaulted him, “threatened to have him cut up” and she made a call to another youth telling him the boy had assaulted her. Defence counsel Damian McKeone said this will be denied.
Gda Healy said it is alleged five youths arrived armed with a baton, a knife and crutches and confronted the boy. He said the girl’s accusation was the catalyst for the assault on the boy.
He was stabbed “on a number of occasions in the back”, struck with crutches and punched, the garda said.
It was alleged the boy was chased to a second location where he was struck on the head with a baton and stabbed repeatedly again. Gda Healy said the boy was helpless on the ground while he was kicked and punched to his body and head, and beaten with a blunt object.
The attackers fled when locals came out of their house to find the boy was struggling to remain conscious and he had a number of visible stab wounds. He was rushed to Beaumont Hospital where it was discovered he had a punctured lung, the court was told.
CCTV evidence was shown in court of young people running to the scene of the second attack and running in the opposite direction later. Gda Healy said the girl was also among that group.
He agreed with the defence counsel that the girl had not caused the injuries sustained by the boy but he said she had allegedly threatened the teen that “I am going to get you fucking sliced”.
Gda Healy said the boy spent two weeks in hospital but had to return again last year for two days as a result of problems related to the attack.
He had post traumatic stress disorder, his education was affected and he could not complete the Leaving Certificate, and he was unable to play football. He had been due to take up a soccer scholarship in the United States but because of the alleged attack he has been unable to do so, Gda Healy said.
Mr McKeone put it to the garda that the girl asserts that she had been assaulted. Gda Healy said there were independent witnesses that claim she was not assaulted.
Pleading for juvenile court to accept jurisdiction, counsel asked the judge to note that the girl was aged 15 at the time and there were family problems. She had educational issues which resulted in difficulties in school and she could be described as immature and would have been less mature at the time of the alleged incident, the barrister said.
Judge O’Connor refused jurisdiction. The girl, who was accompanied to court by her father, was ordered to appear again later this month when it is expected she will be served with a book of evidence and returned for trial to the higher court.
Two youths have had their cases dealt with in the circuit court while another three others are still before the courts.