Teen 'drove stolen bike through Dublin city until boxed in by gardai'

Teen 'drove stolen bike through Dublin city until boxed in by gardai'

A teenager dangerously drove a stolen motor bike along Dublin city streets until he was boxed in by pursing garda patrol cars, a court has heard.

Ryan O'Driscoll, who was 18 at the time, has a total of 84 previous convictions, 64 of which are for road traffic offences. He is currently serving a six month sentence for minor road traffic offences.

Dublin Circuit Criminal Court heard disqualified driver O'Driscoll, now aged 20, would like to train as a mechanic.

O'Driscoll, of St Mary's Mansions in Dublin's north inner city pleaded guilty to dangerous driving at Grace Park Road, Dublin 9 on March 6, 2015.

Garda Manus Keane told Tom Neville BL, prosecuting, that gardai first spotted the motorbike, driven by O'Driscoll with a rear passenger, on the Malahide Road. The bike did a u-turn and drove back past the patrol car which activated its lights and began to follow them.

Gda Keane said during the pursuit the motorbike made no attempt to stop while it drove at speed overtaking stationary cars and driving on the wrong side of the road. The bike wove in and out of traffic at Fairview Strand and drove on a foot path.

The garda said they managed to overtake the bike while approaching a junction and pull the patrol car in front of the bike but O'Driscoll managed to break free onto the Clontarf Road.

O'Driscoll then collided with a second patrol car and Gda Keane was able to use his car to box the bike in. O'Driscoll was arrested. The motorbike had incorrect plates fitted and had been stolen the previous month.

Gda Keane agreed with Pieter Le Vert BL, defending, that O'Driscoll said he bought the motorbike but he had been unable to confirm this.

Mr Le Vert said O'Driscoll had been quite easily led at this point in his life and had fallen in with an older peer group. He began abusing cocaine and served a number of sentences at Oberstown.

He said O'Driscoll had "flourished" at Oberstown so had little spur to stay out. He said his client was now serving a sentence for the first time in Mountjoy Prison which had been a "tremendous wake up and terrible shock."

He said O'Driscoll was using his time in Mountjoy productively but was determined not to return.

Mr Le Vert said O'Driscoll's mother had seen a dramatic change in him. He said his client had done voluntary work within his community and had work available to him on his release.

Counsel said his client's ultimate goal was to be a mechanic, work with bikes and own his own shop.

He said O'Driscoll instructed that he bought the bike. He did not want the owner to be out of pocket and had hoped to have €2,000 to offer to the owner.

Judge Patricia Ryan adjourned sentencing to later this month to allow him have the money in court.