Teen charged with false imprisonment of a youth

CourtsBy Tom Tuite
Preston St
Preston St

A 15-YEAR-OLD boy charged with false imprisonment of a youth who was allegedly held against his will and robbed in a Dublin city-centre alley has been remanded in custody.

The boy is the second juvenile to appear at the Dublin Children's Court charged over the incident on June 2 last.

He is accused of false imprisonment and robbery of the 19 year-old youth who was allegedly held against his will at Preston Street on June 2 last. It is alleged his phone and €220 were taken from him.

The boy, who was accompanied to court by care workers, had been initially granted bail last month with conditions that he must reside at accommodation provided by the Child and Family Agency, obey a 9pm-9am curfew and not have contact with his co-accused as well as another named youth.

However, bail was revoked after the juvenile court heard the teenager breached the curfew on six out of 14 dates.

The case resumed today and defence solicitor Aenghus McCarthy pleaded with Judge James Faughnan to release the boy. He said the teenager now understood the consequences of breaching bail terms and that care workers have arranged drug abuse therapy for him.

He argued that this would be better for the teenager than being held in custody. The boy's social worker said that a recent move to a new care placement resulted in an improvement in his behaviour. He said the teen's progress could be set back if he were kept in custody further.

Judge Faughnan noted the State were still against bail being granted to the teenager who had been on his “last chance” and had broken court orders previously. Judge Faughnan said the defence needed to do more to convince gardai to drop their objection to bail.

He adjourned the case for one week and further remanded the boy in custody.

No plea was entered and a ruling has yet to be made as to whether the trial will be dealt with in the juvenile court or sent forward to the Circuit Court which has tougher sentencing powers.

Last week month, bail was granted to the 16-year-old co-accused who is charged with robbery in connection with the incident. During his proceedings, the juvenile court was told that he was armed with a broken bottle and held the young man in a Dublin city-centre lane for 15 minutes.

Garda John Saunderson had told the court it would be claimed that the man was befriended by two youths and agreed to buy them cigarettes. Afterwards he was allegedly threatened by the youths who had a broken bottle. They walked him down a lane, searched by them and his phone and ATM card were taken, it was alleged.

Garda Saunderson had said one of teenagers had the bottle and held the man for 15 minutes while the second boy went to an ATM machine with his bank card and withdrew €220.

It was alleged the youths walked the man to Connolly train station “and instructed him to take a train home”. Neither defendant can be named because they are minors.