Teen boy who robbed woman at Luas stop sentenced to two and a half years detention

Teen was sentenced to two and a half years detention
Teen was sentenced to two and a half years detention

A 16-year-old boy who violently robbed a woman at a Luas stop and then ransacked a pub kitchen has received two and a half years detention for these and other offences.

Gardaí caught the boy with a co-accused, Carl Farrell (23), smashing vehicles in an underground apartment car park during another incident a month later.

The court heard that the boy had accumulated 29 previous convictions, including criminal damage and thefts, since March 2014.

Farrell, of Uppercross Road, Rialto, Dublin received two years in consecutive sentences for the car park criminal damage and a burglary.

The 16-year-old pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to robbing a phone at Drimnagh Luas Stop, Davitt Road, Drimnagh and to burglary and criminal damage at the Black Horse Inn, all on December 2, 2014. He also pleaded guilty to criminal damage of three cars, theft of a Garmin Sat Nav and possession of a wheelbrace at Davis Court, Thomas Davis Street on January 6, 2015.

Farrell pleaded guilty to criminal damage of two cars, theft of jeans and a jacket and possession of an extendible wheel brace on the same date and place. He further pleaded guilty to burglary at Rothe Abbey, South Circular Road on June 18, 2015.

He has four previous convictions, including criminal damage and thefts.

Garda David Costigan told Martina Baxter BL, prosecuting, that a South African woman had been waiting on a Luas at 6am on December 2, 2014 when a man with a “dirty complexion” approached.

This man, whom she later described as “on something”, punched her repeatedly in the face and threatened to stab her with the broken bottle in his hand if she didn't give up her wallet.

He told the woman to follow him to the canal when another lady arrived at the ticket machine. The victim managed to hit the assailant with her bag and he ran off.

Derek Cooney BL, defending the boy, submitted to Judge Martin Nolan that his client's offending had spiralled out of control when he began to take drugs due to a bereavement. Judge Nolan accepted that detention was a last resort of the courts for young offenders but added that “at present (the boy) is a danger to society”.

He imposed four years detention for the phone robbery and suspended the final 18 months.

Oisin Clarke BL, defending Farrell, submitted to Judge Nolan that his client had only started to get into trouble with the law over the last year due to relationship difficulties. The judge acknowledged that Farrell had no serious record of conviction, had co-operated with gardaí and entered early guilty pleas.

He imposed a one-year sentence for the criminal damage and theft offences to run consecutively to one year for the burglary, which Farrell had committed while on bail.

- Aoife Nic Ardghail