Teen allegedly led gardai on chase which resulted in stolen car being driven into Liffey

Pictures of the vehicle which was allegedly driven into the river Liffey
Pictures of the vehicle which was allegedly driven into the river Liffey

A YOUTH, who allegedly led gardai on a high-speed chase which ended when a stolen car crashed through a wall and plunged into the Liffey, has been sent forward for trial.

The 17-year-old boy, who cannot be named because he is a minor, appeared at the Dublin Children's Court where he was served with a book of evidence by Garda Gerry Smith.

He is charged with burglary of a house at Weston Drive in Lucan in Dublin in the early hours of April 13 last. An additional connected charge was put to him on Thursday for criminal damage to a wall over the Liffey at Cellbridge village.

Judge John O'Connor warned the Dublin youth that if he intended to use an alibi in his defence he must notify the prosecution within 14 days.

He then made an order sending the boy forward for trial to the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court where he will face his next hearing on Oct. 14 next.

At an earlier stage, Judge O'Connor said the teen was lucky to be alive, and he held that the case was too serious to be dealt with in the juvenile court. 

He  ruled that the teen should be tried in the Circuit Court which has tougher sentencing powers. The boy, who was accompanied to the hearing by his mother and a family support worker, has not yet formally entered a plea.

An older youth is also before the courts in connection with the incident.

In an outline of the allegations, the juvenile court was told that the teen and a co-accused, who has faced separate proceedings, “fished” keys through a door at a house and stole a car from the driveway.

He was allegedly the driver of one stolen car while another youth was in a second vehicle. Following a pursuit the teenager allegedly crashed through a wall in Cellbridge and plunged into the Liffey. 

He was followed in by another car driven by the alleged accomplice and both youths had to be rescued from the river.

Approximately €20,000 worth of damages were caused to the wall.

Pleading for jurisdiction to be accepted defence solicitor Gareth Noble asked the juvenile court to note that it happened at an unstable time for the boy who at one stage asked to be remanded in custody because of his then chaotic circumstances.

However, the judge refused jurisdiction.

A welfare report on the boy, who has not yet entered a plea, was also ordered by the court.