Teen (17) caused over €15k of damage to Dublin train station

CourtsBy Tom Tuite
Fonthill train station
Fonthill train station

A YOUTH, who caused more than €15,000 worth of damage when he ransacked a Dublin train station, has been spared a custodial sentence.

The 17-year-old boy, who cannot be named because he is a minor, was placed on supervised probation for nine months.

He pleaded guilty at the Dublin Children's Court to burglary and criminal damage charges in connection with the break-in at Fonthill train station on the evening of Oct. 18 last year.

Garda Paul Dempsey told Judge John O'Connor that the the teenager was arrested in the station ticket office where there was “a considerable amount of damage caused”, totalling €15,200. Gda Dempsey said the teenager got in to a disused portion of the station by forcing open a shutter door and he then gained entry to the ticket office.

He damaged the shutter door, a fire extinguisher, a ceiling, carpets, a ticket vending machine, an alarm and a code panel.

Gda Dempsey said that the station was not being used at the time but had been ready to operate. He agreed with defence counsel Ann Sheridan that the boy, who was accompanied to court by his father, has not come to attention of gardai since.

Judge O'Connor described it as a very serious incident but the teenager, who had no prior criminal convictions, had engaged with the Probation Service to address his offending. He imposed a nine-month probation bond on the youth.

The teenager was told this meant he had stay out of trouble, continue on an educational course, accept further guidance from the Probation Service and also attend a crime diversion project.

“If not, you are going to come back and you will get a custodial sentence,” he warned the youth.