Tallaght man appears in court in connection with armed stand-off with Gardai

Gardai at the scene of the stand-off in Tallaght
Gardai at the scene of the stand-off in Tallaght

A 47-YEAR-OLD man has been remanded in custody after he was charged with possessing a shotgun in connection with a 14-hour stand-off with gardai in Tallaght in Dublin during which a number of shots were fired.

Patrick Kinch of Deerpark Square Tallaght was granted an order that while in prison custody he would get necessary medical treatment, after he appeared at Dublin District Court today. 

He is charged with possessing a Beretta double-barrell shotgun with intent to endanger life and property at Deerpark Square on Sunday. The charge is under Section 15a of the Firearms Act.

Dressed in grey hooded sweater and blue jeans Mr Kinch sat silently throughout the hearing and has not yet indicated how he will plead.

Houses and apartments in the area were evacuated as gardai sealed off the area and specialist units including negotiators and the Emergency Response Unit were called in to deal with the situation at Deerpark Square.

Mr Kinch was taken to Tallaght Garda station at 5.30pm and detained under Section 30 of the Offences Against the State Act. 

He was held overnight and brought to appear before Judge Michael Walsh at Dublin District Court today. Garda Ruairi Meagher told the court that Mr Kinch "made no reply" under caution when the charge was put to him. Gda Meagher also confirmed that there would be an application to remand the defendant in custody.

However, defence solicitor Yvonne Bambury told Judge Walsh there would be no bail application at this point and Mr Kinch was remanded in custody to appear at Cloverhill District Court on Wednesday.

Judge Michael Walsh acceded to a request from the defence solicitor to “make an order for medical assessment and the requisite medical treatment”. The court also heard Mr Kinch was not working and a statement of his means was furnished to the judge who allowed him free legal aid.