Ex-solicitor in court on fraud charges of over quarter of a million euro
A FORMER solicitor has been served with a book of evidence and sent forward for trial accused of misappropriating about €255,000.
Jacqueline Durcan (47) previously based in Co. Mayo but who now has an address at Rue Laubespin, 10 Laeken, Brussels in Belgium appeared at Dublin District Court on Tuesday.
The prosecution follows an investigation by the Garda Bureau of Fraud Investigation.
She faces charges under the Theft and Fraud Act and the Solicitor's Act for alleged offences in Co. Mayo from 2008 until 2010.
Judge Anthony Halpin heard that the DPP consented to her being returned for trial on indictment to the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.
A book of evidence was served on her in court and the judge told her she was being sent forward for trial on ten charges.
She has not yet entered a plea and was given the formal warning that if she must notify the State intends to use an alibi in her defence. There was no objection to her remaining on bail.
Judge Halpin told her she will face her next hearing on June 10 in the circuit court when the case will be listed for mention.
He also made an order for disclosure of video evidence to the defence and legal aid was granted.
The woman is accused of dishonestly appropriating €100,000 in Co. Mayo and knowingly making a false entry in accounting records on Oct. 21, 2008.
She is also charged with dishonestly appropriating €51,000, €20,000 and €60,000 on separate dates in September 2010 and €24,000 in December 2009.
She also has charges of making false entries in account records in December 2010 and failing to maintain records in a prescribed manner in September that year.