Sentence date for teen mugger
A YOUTH, who was part of a gang that rained blows on a man during a vicious mugging at a Dublin train station, is to be sentenced in December.
The 16-year-old had already pleaded guilty at the Dublin Children's Court to robbery at Coolmine train station during which the victim had his phone worth €250 stolen on January 9 last year, when he was set on by a group who had their faces covered.
Today the case resumed and the teenager entered additional guilty pleas for unlawfully driving a motorcycle, which he crashed into a garda van following chase in February, and a public order incident in August.
Judge O'Connor noted the Probation Service wanted to involve the boy, who has no prior criminal convictions, in “restorative justice” work.
The court also heard the boy, who cannot be named because he is a minor, is in work and was found by the Probation Service to be at a low risk of re-offending, however, the judge reminded him he faces serious charges.
The youth, who was accompanied to court by his father and his barrister, was remanded on continuing bail to appear again for sentencing in December.
Garda Janice O'Neill told court that during the robbery incident, the man had been travelling on a train and noticed a group of five males in his carriage, “acting suspiciously with scarves around their faces”.
He disembarked at Coolmine station the boy and his accomplices punched him and demanded his phone, which was taken from him.
He then sustained five punches from the gang which included one adult and Gda O'Neill said boy was involved.
“It is a very serious case in which you could get a custodial sentence, it is very much in your interest that you get a good probation report,” the judge has warned the boy.