Polish national convicted of sexual assault

Central Criminal Court
Central Criminal Court

A Polish man who sexually assaulted a woman in a street attack a few months after he arrived Ireland has received a four year sentence with the final two suspended.

The woman had been on the phone to a friend when she became aware of Mieczyslaw Sudol (42) following her as she walked home after a night out.

Sudol snatched the woman's phone when she told him she was speaking to her boyfriend and grabbed her throat, before pulling up her dress to sexually assault her. He ran off with her phone when her screams alerted people in nearby houses.

The father-of-two, with a previous address at Woodbrook, Cahirciveen, Kerry, pleaded guilty at the Central Criminal Court to sexually assaulting the woman and stealing her phone in the county on May 5, 2008. He has no previous convictions.

Detective Garda Richie Naughton told Pauline Walley SC, prosecuting, that the victim said her attacker pulled down her underwear during the incident.

The detective revealed that Sudol, who had been working as a tiler in Cork, was arrested for an unconnected incident in 2008 and left the country later that year.

Gardaí eventually traced him to Poland using DNA found under the victim's fingernails, from when she had scraped his face during the attack.

Ms Walley read out the woman's victim impact statement in court, in which she described how the sex assault had been “devastating, profound and far-reaching” in her life.

“This is the single most horrific act which has ever happened to me,” the woman revealed.

“After the attack I had to move from the house I was living in because I couldn't face walking down that road again. I went from being a carefree, fun-loving person to being almost a hermit,” she said.

Det Gda Naughton agreed with Paul Coffey SC, defending, that his client's guilty plea had been offered a year in advance of a trial date that had been listed. He further agreed that the prosecution had solely depended on a DNA match.

Mr Coffey submitted to Mr Justice Carroll Moran that his client intended to return to Poland to provide for his wife and children on his release from prison.

Mr Justice Moran accepted that Sudol had given his DNA voluntarily, but said a “disturbing” part of the case was that the former tiler continued to deny sexual conduct or intent as revealed in a probation report.

Mr Justice Moran placed the offence at the lower end of the scale in seriousness, adding that this did not take away from the trauma experienced by the injured party.

He took into consideration Sudol's early guilty plea, previous clean record and co-operation and imposed a four year sentence, backdated to when Sudol entered custody on the matter in June 2014.