Polish man sexually abused woman down lane-way

Polish man sexually abused woman down lane-way

A POLISH man who sexually assaulted a woman while on a night out in Cork is to be sentenced later.

Jaroslaw Kupper (39) got talking to the victim, who was socialising with friends, outside a pub after midnight. They had previously met briefly some weeks prior in another pub.

On the night of the sexual assault, Kupper and the woman began kissing before they went down a nearby laneway where she said things were “friendly.”

She said he then became pushy and aggressive before grabbing her arm. She said she told him she was going home but he pushed her to the ground.

While on the ground, he pulled down her jeans and underwear before she started to scream for help. A man in a nearby apartment heard her screams for help and called the gardai.

Kupper, of Millbrook in Middleton, Cork pleaded guilty at the Central Criminal Court to sexually assaulting the woman on September 28, 2013.

The woman told gardai she remembered seeing the defendant's penis erect and he rubbed it against her vagina for a few seconds before she managed to push it away.

Garda Eddie Crockett told prosecuting counsel Tim O'Leary when he arrived in the area he saw the victim on her back.

“There was an obvious struggle as her handbag and bracelet was scattered nearby and the defendant was struggling to stand up as he was intoxicated,” said Gda Crockett. He said both the defendant and victim had been drinking alcohol on the night.

He said the victim was “very distressed” and Kupper had volunteered his clothing and “came clean about the offence ultimately.”

The court heard Kupper, who is married, has no previous convictions and works as a carpenter.

In her Victim Impact Report which was read out on her behalf by Gda Crockett, the woman said she was too fearful to be in the defendant's presence in court, she said she was now “nervous in public places” and the incident had put a strain on her social life.

“To say I was depressed is an understatement. I couldn't even talk about it. I hear about something like this happening every day but I never thought it would happen to me,” she said.

“Thank God someone heard my screams. They may have saved my life and I thank him.”

“It is very hard to continue like nothing has happened and I hope he receives the appropriate punishment,” she said.

Mr Justice Patrick McCarthy adjourned sentencing until June 27.