Perverted journo sex beast faces decade in jail for defilement of child
A FORMER Irish Times journalist who admitted a string of sexual offences against an under-age girl faces up to 10 years behind bars for his sickening crimes
Sports writer Tom Humphries pleaded guilty to six sex offences last March, including the sexual exploitation and defilement of a child, but could not be named until now.
Other charges against him, in relation to a different allegation, were dropped yesterday.
Prosecution counsel Shane Costelloe told Judge Karen O’Connor at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court that he had been instructed by the DPP to enter a nolle prosequi in relation to those three charges.
Wearing a blue jacket, green shirt, grey trousers and black and white Nike runners, Humphries sat alone in court and was not called on to speak during the brief hearing.
His counsel, Hugh Hartnett, said he would require “a little time” to prepare for the sentencing hearing.
Mr Costelloe said the sentencing hearing would take half-a-day.
Judge O’Connor said she would list the case for sentencing on July 26. However, she warned she could not guarantee it would go ahead on that day.
Last March, the 54-year-old, of Corr Castle, Sutton, Co Dublin, admitted six charges when he appeared before a court.
Two of the charges related to Humphries engaging in a sexual act with a girl under the age of 17 on or about December 5, 2010, and February 19, 2011.
The sexual acts happened at an apartment in Dublin.
The other four charges admitted by him were of sexually exploiting the same child by inviting her to engage or participate in a sexually explicit, indecent or obscene act on or about January 1, 2010, February 15, 2011, and March 4 and 18 of the same year.
At that hearing, Humphries only spoke in court to say “guilty” after each of the six charges was put to him.
A number of other charges on the indictment are to be taken into account when he is sentenced.
No evidence has been heard yet regarding the circumstances of the offences.
These details are expected to be disclosed at the sentencing hearing.
A request was made by Mr Hartnett that Humphries be excused from any further case management hearings for health reasons.
However, Judge O’Connor refused this application after it was objected to by Mr Costelloe, who said Humphries should be in court.
Humphries was a sports journalist with the Irish Times, as well as an author.