No bail for Dublin man accused of murdering Gareth Hutch
A man charged with the murder of Gareth Hutch, who was shot dead outside his home in Dublin last year, has been refused bail by the High Court.
Thomas Fox (29), with an address at Rutland Court, in north inner city Dublin, is charged with the murder of Mr Hutch on North Cumberland Street, Dublin 1 on May 24, 2016.
Mr Fox had sought bail in the High Court today.
However, counsel for the Director of Public Prosecutions, Eoghan Cole BL, told Ms Justice Isobel Kennedy that the State was objecting to bail on a number of grounds.
Mr Cole called Chief Superintendent Pat Leahy, the officer responsible for Dublin's north inner city, as well as Detective Sergeant Bob O'Reilly of Mountjoy Garda Station.
Ms Justice Kennedy said she had considered a number of matters and had assessed the evidence of Chief Supt Leahy as well as Det Sgt O'Reilly. She refused bail pursuant to section 2 of the Bail Act 1997.
Ms Justice Kennedy said the refusal was considered necessary to prevent the commission of a further serious offence.
She said she would refuse bail under the principles of “O'Callaghan” and it was “possible the accused will abscond” if admitted to bail.
Section 2.A of the Bail Act 1997 states that a court shall take into account the nature and degree of seriousness of the offence with which the accused person is charged and the sentence likely to be imposed on conviction.