Murderer caged for life for killing the mother of his children

Vesel Jahiri
Vesel Jahiri

Murderer Vesel Jahiri has been jailed for life for stabbing Anna Finnegan, the mother of his two children to death.

Jahiri (36) had the mandatory life sentence handed down by Mr Justice Paul Coffey at the Central Criminal Court today.

Anna’s family said Jahiri was a "monster" who "took an angel from us that night," and that they would never get over her loss.

Jahiri was not in court to hear their victim impact statements, after asking to be taken out of the court earlier because he did not want to hear the prosecution’s summary of the evidence.

He shouted accusations that prosecutor Patrick Marrinan SC was telling lies and had to be warned twice by Judge Coffey during the sentence hearing.

Flanked by four prison guards, three of whom were dressed in full riot gear, Jahiri stared straight ahead and showed no emotion when sentence was passed.

Jahiri stabbed his ex partner Anna (25) to death in her own home a month after she had sought refuge at a women’s shelter.

He also stabbed her brother Karl Finnegan in the chest and head during the same attack.

Judge Coffey gave him a concurrent four year jail term for that assault.

Jahiri was found guilty last month of Anna’s murder and the attack on her brother by the unanimous verdict of a jury.

The attacks happened at Allendale Glen, Clonsilla, Dublin 15 on September 21, 2012.

Jahiri, originally from Kosovo but of no fixed abode, had pleaded not guilty to both charges.

Jahiri had legally represented himself after repeatedly dismissing lawyers who had been assigned to his case.

Anna Finnegan

He had to be removed from the court several times in the course of the trial for disturbing proceedings by shouting. On one occasion he had to be wrestled to the ground by prison officers after he punched prosecuting barrister Patrick Marrinan SC in the face.

The court had been told Jahiri made Anna’s life "hell"; she had written that had beaten her before and "almost killed her". They had been together since she was 16 years old.

During the eight week trial, Janice O’Neill, a friend of Ms Finnegan’s, told the court that Anna called to her house on the day with her two children. She made a phone call to Jahiri and put her phone on loudspeaker.

She heard Jahiri threaten Anna on the phone, just hours before she died, saying: "I know where you f***ing are, I’ll come and kill yous."

Karl Finnegan was staying in Anna’s house temporarily. He and his sister were sitting at the kitchen table when they heard a "loud bang" as the front door of the house was being forced in. He looked up and saw Jahiri coming down the hall with a knife. Anna screamed and stood up from the table.

Mr Finnegan said he picked up a chair to "keep a bit of distance" between him and Jahiri but the chair was then "gone", Mr Finnegan blacked out and awoke with two stab wounds, one to his chest and the other to the right side of his head.

A witness, Joan Broe was walking her dog and heard Anna Finnegan screaming: "Help us, somebody help us."

She saw Anna Finnegan, Jahiri and Karl Finnegan in the driveway of the house next door. She said Ms Finnegan was screaming into Mr Jahiri’s face saying: "Leave him alone."

Ms Broe saw Jahiri chase Anna, bring her to the ground and punch her to her right hand side.

Jahiri drove Anna to James Connolly Memorial Hospital, lifted her out and left her on the ground before security arrived and lifted her onto a trolley.

As a security officer lifted Ms Finnegan onto a trolley, she pointed at Jahiri and said: "He did it."

A post mortem examination determined she died from a single stab wound to the chest.