Mum tells son to kick gardai to death before roaring at judge in courtroom outburst

Mum tells son to kick gardai to death before roaring at judge in courtroom outburst

AN IRATE mother urged her teenage son to attack gardai and she threatened to assault a judge when the boy faced court for twice breaking out of a Dublin detention centre.

The 15-year-old is one of four youths who allegedly managed to abscond from the the Oberstown juvenile detention facility in Lusk last month.

Today, the boy was brought before Dublin Children's Court to face two counts of escaping from custody on July 25th and May 16th last.

The charges are under Section 215 of the Children Act and on conviction can result in custodial sentences.

As he was brought into the courtroom his furious mother glared at gardai and said “don't talk to me please, don't even look at me, I don't want to talk to ye”.

Garda Sergeant Tony Tighe told Judge Deirdre Gearty the boy “made no reply to the charge”.

He then handed over a copy of the prosecution evidence to the boy's solicitor.

The teenager had 22 charges, including robbery, burglary, theft and criminal damage, before the juvenile court and sat silently throughout the hearing.

However, his mother repeatedly tried to address the court and began accusing gardai of beating her son.

Judge Gearty granted legal aid and remanding the teen back to the Oberstown detention centre, she said she was adjourning the case for one week.

As he was escorted by gardai from the courtroom his mother told him to “kick them to death”. She demanded the court let her give evidence and began making claims the gardai were “child beaters” and that her son was assaulted.

Judge Gearty advised her to speak with her son's solicitor Aenghus McCarthy but the woman continued raising her voice and alleging her son had been beaten.

The judge told her there are procedures to deal with her complaint and the mother replied , “I'm going to assault one of your colleagues for what they done downstairs, he's not a dog, not a f***ing dog,” she shouted before she stormed out of the courtroom.

The teenager has not yet entered a plea to the charges which include an allegation of a violent mugging of a woman at a Luas stop in Dublin during which her phone was stolen.